1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Pls spreader 4 dumpster& plow for skidsteer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dumpster Guy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Just joined last night after reading the posts for the past year. Sorry about posting the same old questions but the have a twist.

I am in the smaller dumpster business and looking to get into the snow business this year.

I am looking for a spreader likely a tailgate or small v unit for my Sterling Bullet (Dodge 5500) and a plow for my John Deere 313 (bobcat S130 size) .

For the skidsteer i am thinking a 6ft plow with some form of trip edge. Should i even Buy a plow for the skid or is the bucket enough to get me bye if it only snows once and a while what are the down side for using just a bucket besides the trip edge?

For the Bullet truck I am thinking of a tailgate spreader because I can keep the salt or sand on a low sided bin and shovel into the spreader. If i buy a v box then I have to have my skidsteer in the yard to load the truck, i am open to ideas.Pls consider the dampness of where is live it rains more than it snows.

I am in Vancouver canada and the season is short and there isn't allot of snow, but when we get hit knowone is ready and there is some money to be made. When we get snow it's mostly wet snow.

Cost is a big consideration. But i know it takes spending some to make some
    Thanks in advance!

Bret
    www.minibins.com

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

bret nice looking website.

your asking good questions, but the main problem is, different accounts need different equiptment...

for example.... your bobcat...you really need a plow either way , but what kind... are you doing loading docks? backdragging alot? can you windrow the snow to the side? or does it need to be relocated? are you planiing on plowing sidewalks with the bobcat as well?

the same can be said of your spreader - how much are you spreading ? bulk , bagged, have you checked to see if you can get it?

basicly in order to help you , i would need more info your you accounts...

3. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

elite1msmith> Thanks for the reply!

I don't have contracts or customers asking for snow removal so I don't know what exactly i am going to need. I live in a micro climate that see's more snow that the rest of my surrounding areas. There is very little equipment in my area to service it. So the chronic entrepreneur in me sees an opportunity. It doesn't snow here often but when it does there is a real opportunity.

I have looked into bulk and will likely purchase bulk sand and bagged salt.
    I am looking at the snow-ex sp-1875 for the spreader.

Thanks again.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Are you considering a plow for the bullet? In my opinion, the truck should have a plow and spreader, then have the skid for loading and snow moving. You can always use the bucket for plowing for a year or two before you add a plow to it. Good Luck whatever you decide, and nice truck!:)

5. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

NoFearDeere> The plow set-up is expensive for the bullet Almost 10k, I wait a year until theres more options.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

isnt it the same as a dodge set up?

7. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

elite1msmith> Thanks for checking out my site!
    you are right it should be the same set-up as the Dodge 5500, the local truck supplier quoted me $7,500 for the install of a 7.5ft plow
    I was told that there wasn't alot of selection for mounts for the truck, but I havn't looked deep into it. I still don't have my plan together yet, I am struggling with a opposing business strategies.
    Since I am a newbie, and working in an area that doesn't't get allot of snow I am thinking of starting out just using my skidsteer and seeing where it takes me.

Do I use just the bucket?

Do I switch the tires over? (now have the solid flex tires I don't want to wear those out spinning on asphalt) If so do I buy a set of stock like tires or truck tires and rims

Do I buy a plow or pusher? 6 ftoot for the small machine or can i go 8ft( remember when we snow its wet.)

So that's the SS dilemma the truck is next to think about. I am thinking to start with just using the skid for now and seeing what demand there is for plow and salter. But part of me wants to do it all. Help with the skid questions is greatly appreciated !!

deere2.jpg

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Shoveling salt into a tailgate salter gets old real fast, you will find out what shape you aren't in, LOL. Do you have an idea of how much salt you will go through? You could put a V box spreader in the mini bin and load it before the skid steer leaves for work.

$7500 for a plow would be high here in the Toronto area. I would look at putting a plow on the Dodge and have it do both jobs.

9. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

CET> Shoveling would tire quickly the problem is I don't know how to transport My skidsteer if the bin has a v box in it. I don't know what the next step is going to be?

10. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Today I bought back my stock rims & tires(so i don't wear out the solid flex) and a 6ft plow for the 313. Here is a picture. I read many of these posts (thanks plowsite!!) and made my decision to throw down on a blade instead of a pusher. I would liked to have put an 8 or 7 foot but my machine is small and the snow is heavy.

snowblade.jpg

Snowblade2.jpg

trucksnow.jpg

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

this is an easy one, since you currently have no customers.... you can do one of 2 things

1. WAIT till next year.... all the bids are basicly done... we started bidding for jobs back in JULY, so your not likely gonna find much to work with

2. Sub your machine out. find a contractor in need of a bobcat, and work for him, you will recieve fair pay, and learn the ropes. NO salt issue to worry about, jsut get a blade for your SS and put it to work as dirrected. the nice thing is , you migh tbe able to leave your macine on that site, and not transport it....

oh, and the price on the 7.5 plow...is WAY WAY HIGH, 5200 is about right , at least around here

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  12. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

I think we both posted at the same time! You might not have seen that I did buy the blade for the SS.

The area I live in doesn't see allot of snow so I don't want to over equip myself but the optimist/entrepreneur in me looks for more. I talked to a few landscapers today who who don't want to do snow removal but have strata's who want the service.

I did talk to a contractor who needs a sub he says it would be 65hr blade down to the time I go home. So i'm trying to figure out if I sub , buy a plow & spreader for the truck and go after strar like accounts or just get driveway account near home and work My way out of the neighborhood on the few days it snows.

13. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you probably won't want to spend the money this year but you can have Kage make you the "kage" for a 6ft plow so you can have the best of plowing and pushing

http://www.kageinnovation.com
    steve

14. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Thanks Steve!

I debated a pusher but decided on a Blade but I didn't see the add on. Thanks!