1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help plow wont raise!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jamiller830, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jamiller830

jamiller830 Junior Member

I have an RT3 8' straight blade and in the middle of a driveway last night I dropped the blade and it wont come back up. It was low on fluid so I stopped at a gas station and put some ATF in it, still nothing. If you try to raise it the pump runs but the blade wont move.If you bump the up button it comes up a little each time, the further up it gets the more it moves. If anybody has any ideas i would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

ATF for fluid..??? Does it need cold temp hydrolic fluid? maybe this is the problem?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When it won't raise does the pump sound like it's dead headed against the relief (straining)? Probably, and it's because the lift valve isn't opening which is normally lack of power to it when the raise button is pressed. Clean the bumper plug out very well and wiggle the controller plug first since they're often the easy fix but if you still have no luck, get out the trusty old test light and pull the pump cover off. Connect the test light to the white wire on the lift valve and try to raise the plow. If the test light doesn't light when it won't raise then you know there's a wiring issue/poor connection somewhere in the white wire from there back to the controller. So you simply use the test light and back track all the way back to the control plug until you find power.

If you discover the issue is actually in the controller use the hot wire method here to test the raise function without the controller.

4. jamiller830

Thanks for the info B&B I'm going to pull it apart today and see if I can find the problem! I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

5. jamiller830

Well I traced the white wire to the lift valve and it wasn't getting power, turns out it was broken in the cord for my hand held controller right at the plug. Thank you for your help B&B!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent and you're welcome. This is one thing I always liked about the Boss's, their wiring is simple therefore simple to diagnose, especially if you're stuck in the field. All you need is a little knowledge and a quick check with a test light in most cases. Thumbs Up