1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! Plow won't move!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RCsLawncare, Dec 26, 2010.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Hey there, after a long night of plowing, I was on my last lot and my Boss V-XT just stopped working. The controller was dead and couldn't get anything to turn on. It is blowing the two 15 amp fuses. The wings will move back and forth with a new fuse, but when I raise or lower it, it blows them instantly.... Any help would be much appriciated! Thanks!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You have a short somewhere. Check the bumper plug for any water/ice intrusion first and then go over the entire harness from the controller plug all the way to the bumper plug looking for any damage to the harness anywhere, especially where it passes through the firewall and anywhere around the radiator support. If it all looks good to that point pull the pump cover off and check the harness around the grommet as it passes through the light tower and then inspect all white and orange wires at and around their respective coils and include the white's that extend over to the smart hitch switch.

3. RCsLawncare

Will do, I will report back with what I find! Thank you!

4. RCsLawncare

Went over all wiring, checked all plugs and inside the pump cover. Everything looks good, no cuts on any wires and all the gromets in place... It was still blowing fueses and shutting off the lights to the plow. The ambers would stay on, but the plow lights would not come on. But now the controller stays on, but I cannot lower the blade at all. It makes no noise like it wants to come down. Dont now if I blew a relay or not...

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The plow lights and controller will turn off if it blows the fuse, because the red wire the fuse is in supplies power to both the headlamp and controller relays.

Have another controller to try? If not operate it manually without the controller attached to see if it still blows fuses. If it works fine that way then the issue is in the controller. To operate the plow functions without a controller see here.

Also make sure there's not even a hint of water or ice in the 13 pin connector. That will blow fuses easily.

6. RCsLawncare

Ok, I will be back at it tomorrow during the day! Thanks!

7. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

you may also want to look at your relay block if you have one corrosion on the the relays or where the relays plug in can cause the same.

8. RCsLawncare

Alright, I wasn't able to do the controller idea yet, but I did check all relays, all look good and checked the connections once again... There are two small 10 amp fuse, one red and one red/white striped. The solid red one is the 10 amp fuse that is blowing when the plow is raised or lowered. It does not do it when the lows wings are extended or retracted. Any other ideas, I will go to the dealer tomorrow and he said he would test it on another controller for me.

9. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

take your ground and positive off and clean your connections just for giggles, boss plows are some of the pickiest when it comes to grounds. also check all the ground wires where it connects to the valve.

10. RCsLawncare

I cleaned all the connections and applied electric grease... Still the same thing, solid red wire fuse blows when moving up or down. Don't even get to full down or up position before it blows the fuse...

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do the controller test as I mentioned.

12. RCsLawncare

I will do that tomorrow... Will post results! Thanks for the help everyone!!

13. RCsLawncare

Controller checked out, dealer went ahead and checked it for me since Im in there all the time. It was a bad lower coil. Said it probably burnt out since its the one used most in float mode. Replaced it and it works great. Haven't been able to blow the fuse. Went ahead and got it serviced while there! Should be good to go for the rest of the season once I get some new cutting edges. $165 a piece.... Not cheap!! Thanks for all the help trying to troubleshoot the plow.