1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Plow won't hook up, storm's coming

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JeffNY, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im not sure wtf is going on, but I've never had a problem hooking this thing up. But it appears that the pin isn't staying out, I don't know if I lost a spring or something or what.
    Anything look wrong to you?

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

2. payton

payton Senior Member

hmm did ya loose the spring? take a rubber mallet and tap it in should be find once its in.. if ya wanna be sure wrap a strap or small chain. shouldnt be that big of an issue

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your torsion spring is bent and stuck in the pin hole..

The torsion is what holds the pin from popping into place when you flip the lock pin levers to the "on" position. When you power the tower up, the pin brackets push the torsion springs out of the way, allowing the tension springs (in the lock pin levers) to pull the pins into the mount.

If the torsion spring is blocking the hole, the pin can't pop into place.

Bend the torsion spring back into place and it'll work fine until you can replace it.

Or remove it altogether and hold the pin out manually until the pin is lined up with the pin hole in the mount.

IMG_0409 (Medium).JPG

4. Waterboss

Waterboss Member

Looks like your smarthitch torsion spring is bent into the hole that the coupler pin slides into. A pair of needle nose pliers should straighten it out and allow it to drop down out of the way when powering the tower up.

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Ditto, what he said. Your spring is messed up.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

but, the pin shouldn't even be against it yet, should it??

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should be anytime the lock pin lever is set to the "ON" position.. The torsion spring is there only to hold the pin from popping in as soon as you flip the lock pin lever to the "ON" position. That's it's whole purpose...

Watch the other side when you flip the lever to "ON", you'll see the torsion spring hold the pin out until the mount pushes the spring out of the way, thus allowing the pin to pop in and attach through the mount on the truck. (Doesn't apply if it's bent/damaged on the other side too :D)

8. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Because the spring is bent the way it is, it allows the pin to push the spring into the opposite opening for the pin. The spring should be nearly flush with the mount on both sides, stopping the pin until the pin brackets push the torsion springs out of the way, allowing the tension springs (in the lock pin levers) to pull the pins into the mount.

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

spring's

it will take more than a pair of needle nose plier's take it off straighten the biggest portion of the bend in a smaller vise ,then use a couple pairs of electricians's pliers to do the final tweaking .i find this work's best.put a new one in and keep the old one for a spair .

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I got it, I thought it was supposed to have that dimple in it, guess not. I held the pin back and let it go it manually, worked like a charm, I'll call the dealer tmr and order a new one.

Thanks alot guys!

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Glad you got it on Jeff, no go out and make some money. :)

12. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan Junior Member
    from Mass

Have the same problem. Mine is only on one side. For a quick fix what i do is attach the side that is o.k. and keep the lever on the bad side to off. Once the good side has hooked up I switch bad side to on, and move frame towards truck and hooks up fine.

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

try bending the one you have now bakc, it could be an easy fix.

14. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member