1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Plow pump mounting 4.9l

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ksland, Nov 1, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I have a 1987 f250 that I am trying to mount a plow to, I have a fisher 8' setup with a hydraulic pump off a similar year truck with a 351w. Obviously the bracket is different to mount the pump. I called a fisher dealer and it seems the only available mount is for a non a/c truck. Aparently the only place to mount it to my EFI 4.9L is where the a/c pump goes. As I see it now I have 3 choices, 1 remove the a/c pump and reinstall it each summer, 2 Possibly have a custom fabricated bracket made?, 3 convert my plow setup to a elec/hydraulic setup. Anyone ran into this before? Please I don't want to lose my a/c. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    :cry:

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Yes I saw that, no cables or controls though. I emailed him with questions. Anyone else?

4. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

does that one have the square compressor,which mounts to the bracket with 4 bolts to the compressor?if so the pump will mount to the top of it.i just mounted mine where the pump was supposed to be,but the one i took it off of was mounted on top of the compressor with a bracket for adjusting it.if so i will post a few pictures of the compressor and mount for you.

5. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

is this the style pump you have?and the mount that bolts to the block?

plowpump01.jpg

6. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

[​IMG]

is this the style compressor you have?

7. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

You should already have the control joystick, all you will need is the control cables they cost about 30.00 a piece, alot cheaper than fabbing mounts for the under hood hydro. IMO
    Ray

8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

clueless, no I have a different style a/c compressor. Its actually the strangest type I have seen, very small, almost looks like a diamond plow pump.

ray- The controls are the same for hydro/elec and hydro? Thats good to know. So just the two cables, and a positive battery cable to the hydro/elec unit and the unit itself should be all I need?

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd fab up a bracket and get the hydro pump working.Those older Ford's didn't have great charing systems,so an electric\hydraulic unit may give you more trouble,the engine driven pumps are very fast and reliable.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I too would try to get the belt system working. IMO it is much better on the older trucks.

11. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

yes it certainly is!! unless you have dual alternators and batteries!

12. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Yes, I agree guys. I don't really care for the lights dimming and the slower speed of the older fisher elec/hydr units. I have had 4 or 5 pump operated fishers and had great luck. I think I will fabricated something, there has to be a way. Thanks for the advice.
    :salute:

13. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

How about for a 1995 150 4.9, under hood? or electro/hydro?