1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! plow control? problems on ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by grosser397, Jan 14, 2009.

1. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

heres my problem. my plow will work fine 1 min the the next the on light shuts of when i try to angle or raise or lower my plow. weird thing is the backlight stays on. i turn it back on and it might work might not. please let me know if you think its in the controller. i have the hand held one.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Control power
    light is ON, but
    snowplow does
    not respond.

Harnesses connected to Isolation
    Module incorrectly.
    • Using the electrical schematic in this guide, verify that Isolation Module and harnesses are properly connected.

Blown fuse or Damaged Plow Module
    • Replace all blown fuses on truck and snowplow.
    • If fuses are all okay, check for 12V at all coils and primary terminal of motor relay. If 12V is missing from any coil or relay, replace Plow Module. If 12V is present, go to next Possible Cause.

Damaged harness(es) or cable(s)
    • Perform a Solenoid Coil Activation Test (SCAT) according to the instructions in this guide. Replace/repair any damaged harnesses and cables.

Damaged control or Plow Module
    • Install a properly working control. If problem is corrected, replace PC board and/or coiled cord in damaged control.
    • If problem is not corrected with properly working control, replace Plow Module.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I agree with crash of course. I am leaning towards the harness that runs your lights and controller is failing. You maybe able to check that by simply grabbing the wires where they go into the base of the plug and give them a wiggle and see if your lights cut out or the controller has no power. I just had that problem.

4. te snow

te snow Member

I had a similar problem, the power light would come on when power button was pressed but when I attempted to lift, angle left, or angle right I would hear the solenoid click then the power light would shut off and the plow of coarse didn't operate. Come to find out one of the terminals on the soleniod were loose the slightest bit allowing the wire to move about an eighth on an inch causing this to happen.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Definately start by checking all of your connections (including the plow also). If you can find someone with another controller, try plugging that in and see if it has the same problem. Its going to be a process of elimination to find the problem so get the mechanics guide and a test light. The mechanics guide will tell you where to check for power, ground and continuity.