1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kel1, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kel1

kel1 Junior Member

:help::help:I have a western salt spreader with a tecumseh engine(tvm220). Starts up just fine but dies completely after about 15-20 seconds. Then you have to wait like 10 minutes before it starts again. Recently replaced carb with a new one. New filters, plug ,oil changed. Also drained fuel tank and replaced with new fuel along new fuel lines. A friend did the work as our usual shop is booked. Have a similar problem with a tecumseh on a mower. Could it be the coil? Don't know a whole lot about small engine repair so please take it easy on me. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

have someone run the electric choke switch. with the cover open watch the choke on the pass side. there is a white plastic rectangle that will move up and down. the actuator has red and brown wires to it. it should move up and down about 2.5 inches. spray the whole linkage with wd-40 or =. wait 1 hour and run the choke again. you wont be able to move it by hand, up and down.

try that and see if you can free up the linkage.

3. kel1

kel1 Junior Member

The lingage moves freely from top to bottom and vice versa. Thanks for the help.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

does the linkage at the carb all work smooth? you have a vapor lock issue. is the air cleaner off? did you try to choke it manually? when at full choke is the plastic block all the way up or down.
    this is going somewhere.

5. kel1

kel1 Junior Member

All the lingage parts are new. Air cleaner replaced and in place. Will not start at all manually. The plastic is at the top when at full choke. This thing is like 5 years old and I've been able to get running in the middle of the night in a snow/ice storm. But i can't get it going in a heated garage.Driving me crazy.