1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by StBalor, Feb 15, 2009.

1. StBalor

StBalor Junior Member

Hey Guys, I own a lawn service in maryland, mostly cutting grass. I did an HOA last season and this year they want me to include a bid on clearing all the community sidewalks when it snows. We do not get much snow in maryland where i am at, but some years we get hit good. It's hit or miss here in Central Md.
    The question is how would i go about pricing a bid on something like this? I know i am not giving you much to go on, it's because i have no idea how to go about it.

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hourly and get your guys 21" single stage blowers. What to charge hourly? Up to your area.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yeah, say for instance if you were paying your shovelers to do it...You have to figure what it would cost. If they are paid say 9 an hour (VERY reasonable for someone to be out in 7 degree weather at night), then this would be costing YOU around $15 an hour by the time payroll is done (taxes, ss, insurance, etc.). Well, for you to make money on them, you are looking at around 20-25 an hour atLEAST (this is why many charge around 30/man hour). Well,...figure up how much a shoveler can do in an hours time. Mind you, this has to be figured considering a 1 to 4" snow...Anything more, and you will have to consider a higher labor cost. Leave yourself some margin for wet heavy stuff, too.
    Once you have this estimated, you can give them a set price. After that, you are able to do it with a blower, and reap the benefits of owning, maintaining, storing, transporting, and running power equipment. Do NOT go in there and run a blower for 20 bucks an hour!

4. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

I am about an hour north east of you. We charge $35 an hour for shoveling. But we could probably charge $50 and get it. Not many plow companies want to shovel sidewalks around here. But like you we dont get snow anymore we had 1 plowable event this year.