1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help please

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselpusher, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dieselpusher

dieselpusher Senior Member

i think my unimount solenoid is shot. i need to jump the two terminal then move the joystick up for it to raise. what kind of solenoid do i need can i use a standard starting solenoid?

2. dieselpusher

does anyone know the color coding to the headlight wiring. im going to have to splice because the connectors were cut off. theres about 8 wires near the plug for the plow

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Head light diagrams start on page 29. Unimount manual

Before replacing the solenoid check it for trigger power as well as good ground. May be a wiring issue, not the solenoid itself. (Good troubleshooting section in the manual I posted).

If you do end up changing out the solenoid use the correct one. Starter solenoids can create problems. :nod:

4. dieselpusher

all i need to know is the color coding

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you follow the link he gave you, and print the instructions you will find then and a description of what they do there

6. dieselpusher

oh okay haha sorry

7. dieselpusher

okay so i did the wiring and went to test the plow. it lifted up but i would have to jerk the joystick up. then it wouldnt move the solenoid would just click and if i taped the solenoid it would spark and then work and so on and so on

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If all the connections are clean and tight at the solenoid, replace the solenoid.

Be cautious not to over tighten the connections.

9. dieselpusher

well everytime i go to use the plow the solenoid just clicks. the solenoid base is broken off so it just flops around and the terminals are beyond rust.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Replace it.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And you wasn't sure that the solenoid was the problem? :confused:

Be sure to clean the terminals before attaching them to the new solenoid. :nod:

12. dieselpusher

haha thanks b&b LOL

you sure have gotten me out of alot of headaches haha

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Happy to help np. :waving:

14. dieselpusher

haha im sure ill keep in touch with you all season.

im sean by the way nice to meet you im from north jersey

15. dieselpusher

can i hard wire the lights with the unimount wiring harness for my 95 f250. it doesnt have the relays or anything just cut wires for the headlights. i tapped the turn signals and marker lights in and they work now i have to do the plow lights can i tap them in too and put them on an on off switch? does anyone know what the colors are for headlights on the unimount harness. also why are there 2 brown wires?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can wire up a separate harness and switch for the plow lights but I'd also highly recommend using relays in your harness rather than depending on just switches to handle the amp load. Keeps the hi load wiring out of the cab and wont require a hi amp switch that way.

Color codes coming out of the plow harness for the head lights are as follows:

Black: low beam
    White: Hi beam

I posted a universal relay wiring diagram in this thread already if you want to use it to wire your new harness. Some helpful info there as well. Relay diagram

Your two browns are spliced together in the harness. You already have the one brown connected to your markers, which is correct. The other one would have went to the head light relays originally, which you don't have and don't plan to use so you can cap it off and leave it. You may also have a loose single black/orange wire as well. This is the ground for all the lights on the plow. If you have it and it's not grounded the lights probably won't work. You can ground it to a good grounding point somewhere on the truck.

17. dieselpusher

okay great im going to be working on the headlights today
    thanks