1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help, Please

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by catman23, Nov 11, 2006.

1. catman23

catman23 Junior Member

Hello:
    I am new to this site and have a question I hope you can help me with.
    I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 1/2 ton with 4 wheel drive, 5.9 engine, 6.5 foot box and ext cab. I want to have a 7'6" boss poly straight blade put on this truck for plowing, is this a good or bad idea? and why. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. also is there anything I will need to do once it is installed like stiffer shocks? sagging? anything. Thank You for your help.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Put on 7'6" blade on with timbrens and you be all set. Do a search and you'll find alot of info on 1/2 tons with plows. I was fine when I ran a Blizzard 760lt on my 04 Ram 1500.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

location, location, location...

How about this location for your for sale add?
    Equipment & Truck Marketplace forum

5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

You will be fine with a plow on a 1/2 ton.
    Good Luck

6. catman23

catman23 Junior Member

Help Please

Thank You all for your responces and advice, But is there anything else I will need to do to the truck other then install the plow itself. I have plowed for about 6 years but never had the plow on my truck before, I have always worked for someone else.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Get a 3/4 ton or Bigger truck... lol... I could not help my self.....
    o.k. o.k.

Get timbrens for the front and back.
    Up grade the front coils to #38-#39.
    Tranny cooler.
    Get your tranny serviced. Fluid change and have the bands adjusted.
    ( get all of the fluids changed) diffs& transfer case too.......
    Power steering cooler.

what size battery do you have and how old is it?
    what size alt??
    Do you need a second battery?

Every one has problems with their truck and plow.. It's just a fact of life.
    To tell him there will be no problems with plowing with a 1/2 ton or any other truck for that matter, is just wrong...:nono:

8. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

I agree

Everyone has issues at times with their truck and plow.
    If you are running an electric over set up batt and alt size matters, some have to run 2 bats’s to keep up with the plow. If with heavier front springs on there you’ll need to add ballast to the rear.

9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

now to be simply honest a lot of people are saying you need a bunch of stuff i also have a ram 1500 1998 and with about 500-700 pounsd sand in the back your good-youll find it in 50 or 70 pound bags at home depot, for the fornt end you can go to advanced auto or anything like that and just get lil rubber stopper things this will hold the front end up a lil better and only cost 4.$ very cheap thats all we have on our dodge set up adn have been doing so for 3 years no worries

10. catman23

catman23 Junior Member

Help Please

Thank You all for your advice, I think I'm going ahead and getting the plow sounds like normal problems only nothing to major basically be easy on it and it should not be a problem. Thank You all again.

11. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Hey catman,
    Just last year i decided to go on my own as well. I have a 96 1500 with a 7'6" Boss plow with the smart hitch. Real easy hook up, absolutely idiot proof to hook up and use. As posted above i recomend about 600lbs ballast in the back, and you will be a plowing monster. I was so amazed at what that truck can do. I did nothing to the shocks nor did I add timbrens, and it is just fine. But to say nothing will happen, like someone said above, is a lie. Somthing is always lurking around the corner. But to make you feel better, I have same set up as you are looking for and i couldn't be happier, that is until i trade in my 04 1500 for an 06 CTD. Good luck!

12. catman23

catman23 Junior Member

Help Please

Thank You for the reassurance

13. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah i just traded in my 1998 ram 1500 i ran a curtis snowpro 3000 7'6 in length, weight of the curtis was about 800 pounds, and all i did was add like 500-600 pounds of tube sand in the back and it was fine, i plowed 16 drives, and two commercial lots and it did fine.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Catman23
    Take a good look at the posts of the guys that plow with 1500s'..
    Some are getting bigger trucks and some have all ready them (look at there signatures) why?

sure, you can plow with your truck I'm not saying you can't.
    but you want to do it right or.....do you want to trash your truck ?

ford6.9 now to be simply honest a lot of people are saying you need a bunch of stuff i also have a ram 1500 1998 and with about 500-700 pounsd sand in the back your good-youll find it in 50 or 70 pound bags at home depot, for the fornt end you can go to advanced auto or anything like that and just get lil rubber stopper things this will hold the front end up a lil better and only cost 4.$ very cheap

Do not get li'll cheep $4 buck stoppers for your truck... Get Timbrens for the front and back.
    call a sponser likehttp://www.albanyspring.com/

Yes, use counter weight....

The bunch of stuff will save you a 2K tranny.
    Your stock shocks will be fine.

15. ice-eater

ice-eater Junior Member

SnoFarnmmer's RIGHT

These guys that have been saying that a 1/2 ton is fine to use to plow with mean well I'm sure, and for the first three trucks I owned I thought so too. But the truth is that this is VERY hard on a light duty truck! Hell! It's hard as hell on a heavy duty trucks! Especially when you get into those wet, heavy, deep snows! I've had guys tell me that I owned then money for bent A-frames because they were too stupid to NOT try and move a pile of once was snow, but then turned ice pile of crap as big as a ice-burg that weighed ten times the mass of their trucks because they thought that they and their plowing monsters were totally invincible, and bent their A-frames into two S-shaped pieces of worthless crap! Now if a truck can push so hard as to TOTALLY distort 3/8 thick pieces of 4" angle iron that the A-Frame is made out of to the point that they turn into something that resembles bent steel sculptured artwork by Picasso, and I've seen other nights so cold that out of 27 trucks, 18 of them all went down because their trip springs snapped and broke like a bag of potato chips would when you sit on them because it was so cold out there that it reached the temperature that steel snaps and cracks just like a communion wafer before a priest blesses it, then can you see that there is a ton of pressure and a world of unusual circumstances at work here in this business that happen like no place else on earth practically? After 20 years in the business or so, the people that are telling you that you won't have any problem with running a 1/2 ton anything will ALL agree with SnoFarmer and EVERYTHING that he recommends! PERIOD! I have personally owned over twenty-five trucks with plows myself, and hired over 300 guys that owned everything from tiny little Ford Rangers, (oone that didn't make it two hours), to big GMC Dump Trucks. and the bottom line is that for the average guy, unless you want to be replacing transmissions every other year, rear ends every three years, brakes and front end parts every year, and engines every four years, then you better just go ahead and run with that 1/2 ton of yours until you can afford to upgrade to a 3/4, (or better), and then do it right away! It's a matter of cost! and it WILL cost you more to maintain and own a 1/2 ton plow truck in this business than a 3/4 ton. PERIOD! I have literally HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of examples in over a quarter of a century in this business to draw upon to make that statement and to tell you that it is NOT an opinion, it is a FACT!

Good luck! wesport

16. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^

I think that's a little bit of an extreme! Transmissions every two years, engine's every four? What's the difference between a engine in a 1/2 ton compared to a 3/4? If he's going out to plow commercially yes, i'd say upgrade, but for residential I say go for it. In
    Buffalo, NY land of the lake effect there are almost as many 1/2 ton truck with plow as 3/4 and 1 tons. People told me the same thing, even after I had my plow. "You're going to kill that truck, it wont last the season" blah, blah. I never had any problems or parts break from plowing on that truck. Sure I upgraded my truck, for heavy commercial plowing, otherwise I'd sill be in my 1/2 ton!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

ice-eater "and I've seen other nights so cold that out of 27 trucks, 18 of them all went down because their trip springs snapped and broke like a bag of potato chips would when you sit on them because it was so cold out there that it reached the temperature that steel snaps and cracks just like a communion wafer before a priest blesses it"

Thanks!.......... for the support,......... I guess:dizzy:

I had no idea it got that cold in Columbus, Ohio lol

But, yet the cold only affected the trip springs!!!!:dizzy:

I think your springs are a strung little too tight,,,,,,,:waving:

How about basing you position on some thing resembling a fact or some real life experience.... JMO:waving:

P.S. an entertaining read anyway......

18. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Ice-Eater-
    For starters, sounds like your drivers need to learn how to drive and plow if they are trying to move ice piles. Now unless they installed some option in 3/4 or 1 ton trucks that can make you move the ice, doesn't sound like the truck makes much of a difference there, because if your drivers are anything like you say, they would hit it and bust up thier PLOW anyways. And once again, it being so cold that the springs "snapped and broke like a bag of potato chips", doesn't fall on the truck not being able to handle it. And if you read in catmans first post, he says he is starting out on his own in this business, if you ask me, starting out in a 1/2 ton is perfect. You wouldn't give your 16 year old who just got his license a Ferrari would you? 1/2 ton is the perfect starter truck, and not to mention, if you already have one, that is one less cost to front. But as everyone says, that is just my opinion...

19. ice-eater

ice-eater Junior Member

Ouch... That hurt me so bad. Ouch.

Yea... real nice come back! But he never did say that he was plowing driveways only! In fact, he said he had been plowing for six years, but in someone else's truck! And yes, it does on occasion get that cold in Columbus, Ohio. Thank God not that often though! The official record was 28 below zero that night at the airport, but in the east side Suburbs, the temperatures were reported to be 52 below zero that night. I'm 46 years old, have been plowing since 1977, before most of young guys here were even born, and have run my own company since 1981 and managed it until it grew at one point in time to be the fifth largest in the state of Ohio. And I never did say that trip springs were all that broke that night. For example... Only three trucks in the entire fleet made it through that night without having their pumps replaced with standby's while I had three mechanics thawing them out with a 75 gallon propane heater, dumping the semi frozen froth, and refilling them with fresh fluid. That's the year I decided to change to marvel mystery oil because the three that didn't freeze up solid were using it that night and I've never had that problem since then because Marvel M/O doesn't freeze up! In total, my crew went through over $3,250 in replacement parts out of my $15,000 parts stock on hand that night in only twelve hours. But we got the job done thanks to three full time mechanics, and a staff of over 30 drivers and 13 "sidewalks warriors" that were brave enough to face it that night when NO ONE wanted to be out there because it was so cold! The trip springs are by the way, just the first thing to break because they are meant to flex when nothing else is. So you go ahead an feel real proud of yourself for making fun of me, I don't really care because I've been in this business since before most of these guys were born and can smell a smart A__ from 600 miles away. Which is just about right. But for you to advise a young man that is asking for serious advice of what to do to make sure that his 1/2 ton truck makes it through what could turn out to be one of the toughest winters we've seen in a long while, and then imply that all of that good advice I thought you gave him was nothing but a bunch of B.S. and implying that he doesn't have anything to worry about in regard to these things is ridiculously ignorant! He came here for serious advice from people that have been there, and dine that. And for 29 years, I have! And by the way, I have replaced transmissions even in 3/4 ton trucks every other year because of this business before! I Owned a 1989 Chevy 3/4 ton Scottsdale from 1988 to 1997, and because of the strain of pushing the combination of freezing slush turned into ice mixed in-between layers of snow that add up to the equivalent of pushing boulders around with a Tonka truck week in and week out, (not at all like the luxury of hardly even knowing what an ice storm is like up there in NE Minnesota where the men are men, and the cows are scared), the week that I sold that truck I had JUST put it's 6th transmission in it even though I had a heavy duty cooler put on it by the dealership from the get-go and changed the fluid twice a year! And it was sold with it's 3rd engine in it even though I paid a TON of money to have it and the other five trucks I owned kept well maintained so as to guarantee they would be ready to go at a moment's notice any time, any day! (Or rather any NIGHT I should say. Around here, driveways and day-time lots are for guys with wimpy trucks!) Now you do the math! When I did it, I found out that I paid FAR more for repairs on that 3/4 ton truck than I paid for the truck itself! And THAT was on a 3/4 ton that ONLY got used for plowing! Just part of Why I personally drive a HD Dodge now. But I can still tell you, from experience by the way, that out of the 28 plow trucks that I have bought and sold, NONE of the first three that I owned which WERE all 1/2 tons, EVER lasted anywhere NEAR as long in ANY department as ANY single ONE of my 3/4 tons no matter whose make and model it was! And I hate to break it to you, but this IS based on REAL experience. I built a company that grew so large that in in the first two weeks of January of 99 alone, I owed, and then paid out to my drivers over $234,500.00 for just those two weeks worth of snow plowing alone and grossed over 430K in that same period time!. So I think maybe I do know perhaps just a little bit about what I'm talking about. And for a moment, it sounded like you did too! But now I'm not so sure. You were giving a nice young man some good advice there for a moment. But now you're just making a fool of yourself by implying that not one single word of your advice was from the heart, or should be taken that way. Have a nice day farmer-john! Kiss all the cows, uh, I mean all the girls up there in the "GREAT WHITE NORTH" for me will ya?'

Cuz shuks! Way down here in the South, we just foolin' round once every udder yer er tu so's when da temps do get coal-nuff to make our nipples hard, then we can go drive-round in the purdy white stuff and have them customers thow us quarters and nickels, and if were REAL lukey, dimes TWO as we get dun plowin an leeeve there corn-fields!!

20. us2bafhemi

us2bafhemi Junior Member

Sorry catman, according to ice eater the rest of us only just got out of diapers yesterday, so apparently I nor anyone else here knows anything about plowing except for him, all bow down. He must be right, after all he's the only one who has made money in this business.
    I stick to my word, you will be just fine plowing with that truck, as long as you know what you are doing and don't beat the piss out of it you will be ok. Just follow the advice of ALL those listed above, and as stated many times, you won't be problem free, but at least you won't be asking for trouble. Again good luck this season, I too hear it should be a good one.