1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stc911, Mar 9, 2006.

1. stc911

stc911 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hello;
    I’m trying to learn about used plows and how to chose the right one for me.
    I have been looking mainly at Ebay, there seems to be a lot of used equipment there. I have looked locally at some private sales. My problem I don’t know what type of plow goes with what. I almost bought a Meyers but was informed that it would not fit my truck. From what I’ve seen some of the Meyers are a real PIA to hook up.

Anyway I am planning on using my Ford F150 4x4 to start with. I guess what I’m trying to find out is there a source that would tell me what plows are not obsolete and or compatible with my truck. I realize I will have to buy a new mount but what mount fits what plow is my problem. I can’t afford to buy something that is not gonna work and waste my money. I called 2 different dealers and got the feeling I was wasting their time. They forget I will have to more than likely buy mount kit, oil, wiring harness and other expendables. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me learn.

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

for starters what year is your truck. need to know.

3. stc911

stc911 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Truck

Hi BNC

Truck is 1997 F150 x cab 3 door . It has flare side short bed. It's equiped with Off road tow package limited slip rear High output amp alternator. Auto Trans

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Most plows will"fit" your truck. But many, especially if you buy used, you will need to buy the corresponding mount that is for your truck. These can run around 500 or more. The verdict is for a 1/2 ton pickup a 7'6" plow is the largest you want for the 1/2 ton suspension.

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

well I know for sure that you can put on a western uni mount or ultra mount. Also pretty much any meyers plow. 7.6' is the biggest i would put on a f 150. As for other brands im not sure.