1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AlwaysGreener, Oct 17, 2005.

1. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

We have a 1993 GMC 1500 with a Western plow. The problem is I have no headlights what so ever on the plow or truck. I have turn signals, flashers, brake lights, but when I check the fuse for courtesy light, cig lighter and headlight fuse I have no power. I changed all three fuses but still nothing. What the heck am I missing? Thanks for your help.

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Check for ground...

3. AlwaysGreener

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I would check to see that you are getting power to the headlight relays on the plow harness. The relays pick up power from the truck marker lights.

You should be able to find the relays behind the drivers side headlight, either in the engine compartment or right behind the headlight or marker lights. Find the brown wire coming from the marker lights into the relays and check for power (light switch needs to be on). While your checking for power there you can also check for power coming from the headlight switch by checking the yellow wire for low beams and the green wire for high beams at the relays. If you have no power on the yellow or green wires its more than likely the headlight switch if youve already checked the fuses. Headlight switches are a common problem on the classic GM's.

5. AlwaysGreener

Crash935 thank you I will try it. I did replace the switch already. I will follow up.

6. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

There should be a fuse for the headlights, Or it could be the switch you use to turn the headlights on.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The headlights should have self resetting circuit breakers. Get the book(wire colors,what's hot etc.) and start checking for power to the switch, out of the switch, out of the dimmer switch. Trace it all the way to the headlights. Don't just start replacing parts.
    It just makes you madder when it's not the problem. A $35 light switch when it's just a broken wire or ground for example. Look for green powder on the wires (copper corroding) a lot of times it's not obvious,like a danging wire.
    Cheap plow lights are kinda shaky the way they have plug in connectors that are exposed to the elements.

8. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

another thing to thinkl about is the high beam switch. if this is messed up your lights will not work. it may feel like its ok but sometimes there not.

9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sounds like a fuseable link to me.

Look at the positive terminal on the starter, and at the battery.
    Look for a smaller wire (10 or 12 gage) connected to the post.
    Follow it back to the cab.
    If it's down by the starter, then it should go into a metal tube that protects it from the heat of the exhaust.

10. AlwaysGreener

Update

I just wanted to say thanks for all your input. Well I was finally able to work on it this past weekend. The problem was that I had now power to the switch all grounds are good. It was the power wire (Red one) from to the switch going somewhere?? so I just add a new red wire and presto all is working great. Thanks again guys. :drinkup: