1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drew gemma, Jan 20, 2005.

1. drew gemma

drew gemma Junior Member
    from 4

Ok I am new to snow plowing. I want to know what I need to accomplish the following. I have a 2004 f250 psd 6 sp long bed. I want to plow residential and be able to spread salt and or grit/ sand. Money is important but I will spend top dollar for the best equipment. Plow figure maybe a boss v plow or a blizzard power plow with the adjustable wings. Definetly goign with the poly blade either way. Secondly a spreader and here is where I really don't know anything. I guess a low mount or hitch mount spreader is the best option? Just want a simple spreader that works and is effective for residential and possibly small commercial accounts. Thanks for your help I know newbie questions are a pain. How expensive is safewalk ice melt?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are doing mainly residential then I would not buy a V blade and Blizzzard does not make a poly. I feel the snoway with the down pressure would be the best for doing residential as it would back drag best. If you want to spread something other then bagged salt you will need a good spreader with a conveyor belt on the bottom. A Fisher or Western Pro Flow 2. Some of the cheaper spreaders might work with a vibrator kit. It has been posted here that people have had some luck using them.

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I've plowed with a Boss 9'2" poly V for about 5 years now. If I bought again it would probably be a boss again. I have had absolutly no problems with it. We do alot of very large lots and streets with it so it gets put to the test everytime it goes out. With a manual tranny, you may be wearing out a leg and a clutch about every year. If you can live with that then your pickup will work just fine. I bought a Fisher speedcaster II last fall. It works great as long as you don't leave sand in it to freeze into a brick. Now the one thing that I wish that I would have done was get a V box sander. I ended up doing a lot more sanding than I thought that I would. One account takes about 25 bags of sand at 60 lbs each. (Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight). Otherwise I have minimun investment in the sander and have found out that I should have been sanding years ago. It's alot easier on the pickup than blading and is making me 4 times the $$ per hour. GOOD LUCK

4. slade

slade Senior Member

If you think that you might get into commercial someday I would get a v-box spreader.
    Slade

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ditto on the Vbox. If you get a tailgate, you want to make sure it's a two stage - and a Vbox is not much more money. The thing with the Vbox is that you'll need a way to lift it on and off. Then a place with room to store it. But having a sander/salter has definately given me an edge over the competition. Most of the customers I have, I got because I've got a sander. I'm not the cheapest around as far as plowing, either.

I recommend Fisher or Western (made on the same assy line), but that's just my bias. I also recommend a Honda engine, especially over a Briggs & Statton.

6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Boss Plow & Boss spreader = Happy plower :waving:

or the SnowEx spreader for light commercial apps.

Honestly people....Boss equipment almost never gets a bad rap on this site, so the Boss owners must be pretty happy.