1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by missbhaven, Nov 14, 2013.

1. missbhaven

missbhaven Junior Member

I'm getting killed on my bids on jobs, I don't know how these guys make any money on some of their bids. I usually quote jobs by inch of snow like 2"-5" snowfall per push = $100.00. I've never bid jobs on a trigger, I'm going to try to bid next job on a 2" trigger, but I have a question regarding a trigger if someone could answer.

Question: If you have a two inch trigger bid on a job for lets say $100.00, and it snow's four inch's on one snowfall. Does that mean you bill out because it accumulated $200.00 on "one push", or does that mean you just bill out $100.00?
    If what I think is true and you would bill out $200.00 what about
    one snowfall was 5.8" would you bill out only $400.00 or would you round off because over .5 to bill out $600.00.
    Could someone answer my dumb question?
    Thanks
    First time on site

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

My rates go up as the depth of snow goes up.
    For example:
    $40 for snowfall from 2" to 8"
    $60 for snowfall from 8" to 16"
    $80 for snowfall from 16" to 24"

My accounts are residential and smaller commercial. I've found that my rates of 1.5 and 2 times the initial rate are pretty close to the amount of time I spend for those amounts of snow.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

FYI...don't have the same inch total in your quotes twice.........I would do it this way as it avoids confusion when invoicing...

$40 for snowfall from 2" to 7.9"
    $60 for snowfall from 8" to 15.9"
    $80 for snowfall from 16" to 24"

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

The trigger is just that. A point where you can do the plowing. It does not mean you charge the amount to plow the lot per every 2 inches. Some will want it cleared after it's done snowing. Others (commercial retail and more) will need it done at the 2 inch trigger. So every time you have to plow the lot it needs to have snowed 2 inches before you can get started. In the event that it only drops a dusting of snow then you'd leave it.

I have 2 private "roads" (yes roads not driveways) with 11 homes on them. They both wind up on top a mountain. No guide rails and it's as steep as they come. I've been given full reins to keep them open at all times during the winter. Yep, a bunch of doctors in multi million $ homes. There's no trigger at all. If it's calling for 6in of snow, I'll be there at minimum 2 times to plow AND salt. When I bill them out, the income is over $300hr on average. Then I do 8 of the 11 driveways! I basically babysit the roads since they HAVE to get down the mountain and to the hospital at a moments notice. They all have my number in case they need out in the middle of the night.