1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Nov 30, 2011.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i replaced the knock sensors in my 01 sierra with the 4.8L after i replaced them it idled rough but got better as it warmed up. my first thought was vacuume leak but i didn't get why it went away. know when you start it it seems to idle fine but when going down the road when you go to hold speed. i notice it most within 5 to 10 mph either side of 40 the rpms surge and level out and over and over again. any ideaws? thanks so much in advanse

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you replace the knock sensors? Did you do a fuel pressure/volume test?

3. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i relaced the knock sensors cause they were both throwing codes. how would i do that test?

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Knock sensors are a common failure. Did you replace the harness too?

Fuel pressure test is done with a fuel pressure tester. Harbor Freight sells one for $20 that does the job just fine for these trucks. I don't know how a proper fuel volume test is done, but if you watch the fuel pressure gauge while you load the engine (high RPM + WOT) you will know. Anyway, if there was insufficient fuel volume I imagine it would throw a code for running lean - and the symptom would be worse while accelerating than while cruising.

A vacuum leak could go away after it warms up because of thermal expansion.

5. plowin207

plowin207 Member

yes i replaced the sensor too. i checked the tranny fluid and it was way low i put some more in but haven't tried driving it again the check engine light came on so i am going to go to auto zone and see what the code reads

6. plowin207

plowin207 Member

oops i mean the harness. also the idle seems kinda low know and the oil pressure seems alittle high not sure if this information helps