1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please - Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Feb 14, 2010.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys. Here's the deal. A friend of mine just sold his 9'2" Boss Pover V XT (way too cheap in fact - $3600 complete with 10 hours on it). I have the same plow but the 8 footer. He wants me to hitch up his plow to my truck, move it about 60 feet and put it on a pallet for shipping for him. I know it's a universal mount and I should be able to hitch up and move it just fine. But I'm concerned that with it up on a pallet, I'm not going to be able to unhitch. My truck is an 03 Silverado 2500 HD and the front end is pretty low. Pallet is what, 6 inches high? Will this work?

Quick replies appreciated. If I'm not gonna be able to do this I need to let him know ASAP.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

we run hd's and every spring we unhook our blades onto pallets so we can move them around in summer with skid steer forks. you should be just fine.

3. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Ok. Thanks. I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing if I got his plow stuck on my truck...sorry buddy but it won't come off..guess I'll have to keep it, lol.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If you find that the pins don't want to release, just push on the upper frame towards the truck (near the headlights) and it should let go.

5. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

yeah at that price i will come over and get it stuck on my truck. only prob is i run blizzard plows. might have a heck of a time getting it hooked up

6. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what a 9 footer will look like on my truck. My 8 footer is a little too narrow in V mode. I've got a nice dent in my lower door from a snow pile I was trying to cut back. I sometimes think I would have been better off with the 9 footer but in the standard V, not the XT. The 9 foot V XT would be a bit too heavy I think. I'll probably take a little spin with it on to see how my truck handles it.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You could always put the pallet in a low spot in the road or drive to make up for height difference. I assume he can move the pallet from wherever you put it on?

8. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Or if it does indeed become a problem, back up onto a curb, place the pallet up next to the curb, lower the plow and unhook, move the pallet/plow, graciously accept the sixpack for your trouble and head on home.

9. If your worried drive up on some 2by12 about 3 high and that will bring you to pallet height

10. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Ok, got it. Thanks guys!

It was a bit of a pain though. My front was too high to hit the pin to get onto it, had to take all my ballast out and wedge the plow up a bit. And then had to pry the plow up a bit once on the pallet to get it off. Couldn't figure out why we didn't have power to the tower either...he plugged it into the cover, not the connector, lol. I was expecting he'd toss me a 20 or something to cover my gas and the 1/2 quart of my fluid he used....nothing :(

Beautiful plow though..can't believe he let it go for $3600. There literally isn't a scratch on it. It was hanging pretty low on my truck for sure. Seems like it would be a little much. But I didn't crank up the torsion bars at all for my 8 footer...I'm sure it could be made to work.

11. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

why didn't you but it??

12. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

do you have your torsion bars cranked up? we run blizzard 8-10's and crank up our torsion bars in fall and dont have a problem with front end squating. just an idea

13. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

No didn't move my torsion bars but it's fine with my plow on it...just with the 9'2" I was moving the corners were practically dragging in V mode unless I opened it up.

I didn't buy it because I didn't know he'd let it go that cheap, lol. Looks like he may be buying my Billy Goat leaf loader. I bought it a few years ago and never use it. I'll sell it to him for $2500 and then maybe he'll sell it back to me hardly used for half that in a year like he does with everything else, lol.

I don't understand him sometimes. He put that plow on a 1 Ton dump truck he had for his landscaping business that after a year or 2 he didn't want to do anymore. So he decided he would try plowing. Got the plow mid season last year and tried to get some business. He would drive around looking for places that needed doing...did one restaurant that hadn't been plowing at all. I don't think they ever paid him...everyone knows that the place is one step from going under, nobody ever goes there. So then he decided to sell the truck, but with the plow off it. Paid to have it taken back off and sold that. Now he just bought another 1 Ton dump with a Fisher plow already on it to get back into plowing and landscaping, but with a partner this time. So he had to sell the Boss he took of his old truck. Kinda f'd up if you ask me. To be honest, I think he's lost more money buying and selling equipment than he's ever earned doing plowing/landscaping..but he's a retired and I think he gets a pension. Maybe he's just looking to loose money for a tax write off, hehe.