1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP PLEASE: Trying to do my first commercial snow bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zach5187, Jun 28, 2011.

1. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

I am new to the industry this year and would like to have at least one commercial snow account, they have a tiered system. I need a very competitive rate that is still going to make me money. As this is the idea behind the business. they have it in tiers. it ask for pricing for 2-4", 4.1-6", 6.1-8", 8.1-10", 10.1-12" and 12" or more and also a price for deice lot plus sidewalks!! Please help me with what would be competitive but low enough that i should indefinently get this. I am in omaha, nebraska. Thank you
  2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

add it all up your expenses and come up with prices.
  3. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

if any of us is going to help we need alot more info, size of lot, what equipment you have etc...you should figure out how long it is going to take you to plow the lot,
  4. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

it is maybe 20000 sq ft parking lot and 2000 sq ft of sidewalk. Its a barnes and noble account..and the contract is very confusing...I thought it was a simple hourly rate and that was it but they have a tier system set up
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Sounds like a national..... STAY AWAY!.... They WILL eat you alive! Really read the contract as you indemnify AND defend the national against any and all situations that may occur (even if its not your fault)...........Also do a search on pricing(bidding) just because a price will work for me doesn't mean it will work for you (and nationals arnt know for their stellar rates) Maybe not the advice you wanted to hear but probably the best you'll get......

Good luck with your choice......
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

if you're completely new, this probably isn't the account for you. Theres alot less liability doing driveways...so if you're not that good at it, it doesn't matter as much. I'm more comfortable with the fact that a homeowner might slip and fall versus a customer slipping and falling. Not that you can't get sued doing residentials but I think its far less likely. Get your feet wet this way.
  7. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Who is the national company you are bidding through? That will help us provide you info back.
  8. zach5187

zach5187 Junior Member

national maintanence systems inc. out of RI