1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Please! Thanks in Advance!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 7.3powered, Oct 8, 2010.

1. 7.3powered

7.3powered Junior Member

My name is Jonathan and i'm 23 years old and currently own my own lawncare business and have operated it successfully for 6 years now. I currently own a '00 Ford F250 7.3 4X4 6spd. with a new heavy duty aftermarket clutch and flywheel which i use for my business. I am interested in getting started in the snow removal business this year and am perplexed as to where to start...I also have use of a 35hp Ford tractor with blade and a 60hp Allis Chalmers tractor with blade, unfortunately, both without cabs...however, its only my dad and I working so we could only operate 2 pieces of equipment at a time if the weather permits being out in it. I'm thinking of just going with a front plow (possibly a Boss poly) for my truck and a small blower for sidewalks etc..... I'm also interested if any of you experienced ones have some tips on insurance?....I'm not going to be doing very much if any commercial accounts, moreso residential....anything i should know or take in to account?

Just a side ? - Anyone have a Kawi Mule they use for Snow Removal?
    Might be one in the future for the family farm and could use it in the winter for some snow too...they make a "72 blade for it and windshield/cab....and I have used one this fall for a landscape job and they go everywhere even in 2wd. and according to my family that owns a dealer, they are road legal as long as you have an orange triangle in the rear window, as they are classified as a tractor......just brainstorming.....

Any inside tips or how to get started and go about things are greatly appreciated....
    If you have any lenghty advice please email me at thecuttingedgelawnservice@hotmail.com

Thanks alot guys for your help and thoughts......gameplan in progress!

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

call around for insurance quotes
    you HAVE to be out when it is cold and snowing.....your customers dont care if your tractors dont have a cab
    where in Iowa are you?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If you are wanting to start up this season...your pushing your luck on your timing, as jobs are filling up quick...

Are you hell bent are trying to service your own customers your first year of plowing?

I would call around or check to see if any reputable contractors are hiring subs for your area and learn the ropes plowing commercial lots...then after you sub for a year...you will know how long things take in different conditions and that will give you much knowledge as how to go about putting together a price for services.

That is what many of us have done..and it's very smart.

Unfortunately at your age of 23...your insurance rates are going to get hiked up...Your going to need:
    -General liability insurance
    -Commercial Auto insurance
    -and most likely WC if your serious.

4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding Help

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package
    Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.

5. 7.3powered

7.3powered Junior Member

I already have a million dollar commercial insurance policy and commercial auto insurance for all of my equipment and it actually isn't too expensive.... just was wondering if I needed to add anything to it...guess I'll have to talk to my agent...and my already existing customers and others have inquired about whether I do snow removal and I'm kindof at the limbo stage as to whether to go ahead with it or not. and as to the subs... my close neighbors have a big lawn care and snow removal service and I was actually thinking of getting some work with them or seeing if they would let me do some of their work sub contracted....after I got efficient with it, considering they have mentioned it to me before.

Thanks for the good advice MileHigh.

and yes I'm aware I have to be out when it is cold and snowing....if you check our last 3 years of snowfall, we've gotten blasted. Had about 27-30in. in Dec. alone...and thats what Carhart is for.

also where can I find annual snowfall for a particular area? I've typed it into Google and not had to much success.

Thanks Guys

6. 7.3powered

7.3powered Junior Member

got 43in. in Feb too.