1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help picking a plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by welder101, Jan 8, 2014.

1. welder101

welder101 Junior Member
    from IL

Hi everyone,

I'm a new guy here looking for a plow. I will be doing a couple of good sized driveways but nothing commercial. I have a 2007 Silverado new body style with a 5.3L, I have been looking at the Boss and Hiniker straight plows, but having never owned a plow I don't know about the quality of either plow. Can you experienced guys helps me out?

Thanks

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

1/2 or 3/4 ton?

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Every one is going to give you a different answer on this. Oh this one is junk, no that one is better. Best thing to do is go to a couple different local dealers, look at the different plows that will fit your truck. Then try to research the dealer to find out if they are reputable, ie- how is their service after the sale. The service is big factor, when it's snowing to beat all get out, and you have a breakdown.

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

As stated go to your dealers. You have to be the one to make the decision. Everyone can tell you the good and bad about a plow but you have to tell yourself that too.

The reason I prefer using westerns in their mounting system. Look at them and see what features you like.

And by not being commercial did you mean your not plowing commercial lots or your not accepting money?

5. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

He said he has a 5.3L engine. So you tell me if he has a 1/2 or 3/4 ton lol

6. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is probably a 1/2 ton. Now what do I win?

7. welder101

welder101 Junior Member
    from IL

Sorry it is a 1/2 ton truck. By commercial I meant doing big lots.

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well being "commercial" doesn't mean you plow lots, it means plowing for money.

So if you are plowing driveways and accepting money then you are running a business, making you commercial and your in the wrong section.

9. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Okay, I have a 1/2 ton truck. When I went looking for a plow I considered how I would reduce the wear and tear on the vehicle. My decision was to keep the front end weight down. So I picked a Snoway 26 Series Plow with down pressure. I have been very happy with the results. The plow has done everything I have ask it to do and I have had zero major maintenance issues in the 5 years I have owned it. Now I do not do commercial accounts and I'm sure their are plenty of other good options for plows out there. You also need to consider how far you would have to travel for parts or service. Try to pick one with a dealership as close as you would consider driving for normal repairs on your vehicle.

Good luck on your choice.

10. welder101

welder101 Junior Member
    from IL

Thanks for the input, I'm going to check with some dealers this weekend.