1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP ! overheating

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have a second plow truck it is a 1997 Ford F-350 with the 351 motor in it. Im having an problem with it running hot. I replaced the thermostat and the coolant sensor and it did nothing. It runs around 3/4 and i havent even put the plow on it. What should i try now? Water pump? The raditor looks good so im i dont know, one thing that i can try if you think it may help is it had a tranny coolor but it blocks 1/2 the raditor? What that do it? Or is 3/4 normal temp?

Thanks Bob
  2. LDA

LDA Member

Drain your radiator atleast half way, use a flash light and look inside, if there is rusty build up inside (will kinda look like cauliflower) it is probably restricting the coolant flow, let me know what you find, if it is bad email me and i will let you know a way you can clean it out.

3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

First thing to do is verifiy the coolant gauge is correct. It might just be a bag gauge or sending unit.
  4. Scott R

Scott R Member

A few other things that can cause a high temp.
    Bad air flow through the fins, pressure wash the radiator good.
    Corrotion, like the last post mentioned, some good acids are avalible at the local food store that will do wonders.
    Bad head gasket, pushing exhaust gases into the water jacket, look for little bubbles in the radiator (cap off) while running, put a load on it if possible.
    Timming is to far advanced.
    Make sure you have a shroud around the fan.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Do you know anyone with a coolant pressure tester? You COULD have a bad headgasket and you may have a buildup in pressure in the radator. And if that is what is happing then it could appear that your overheating.....Rob
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, check your fan to see if it is a clutchfan. That could be going out. If it is a clutchfan, replace it with a straight fan.
  7. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

hot hot hot

THer are so many factors that can cause what you describe that you really should have a mechanic look at it [not the dealer,but an independent shop better a big truck than automotive shop] Gauge could read wrong,headgasket,water pump,thermostat,air flow,fan,short to ground,missing shroud,ignition timing,and more!!!!!!!!!!:yow!: :yow!:
  8. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Clutchfan has a small coil spring on the front of the clutch. Reach in pry the end of the coil spring out of its slot, this makes the fan direct drive but will tell you if the clutch is good or not. Doing this on my truck kept the temp needle at 195 at any speed and the plow in any positon. Before the temp needle would start climbing at any speed over 30 mph.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would also take off the radiator cap (when cold!) and start the truck , then look in the radiator top to see how fast (and if) the coolent is flowing. Let it warm up for the t-stat to open and watch the flow- this will tell you if the pump is going south. Should move the coolant swiftly.

Could also be time for a bigger radiator- try a 4 row instead of a 2 row. Double the cooling area, and unfortunatly many trucks that should be classed as HD only come with 2 rowers.
  10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You may have a 195 Thermostat!

Start here....

Check the clutch fan for drag, if you have one.

Flush out the radiator, sounds like you haven't in a while. Refill with water.

Check with the cap off for circulation. It should not until it get hot.

It may be very hard since you have a tranny cooler. But feeling the radiator for cold spots works well. The bottom may not be flowing and is plugged up.

If it cold on the bottom, get it boiled and pressure tested.

Change the thermostat.. Cheap and easy.

Check all hoses, replace if needed.

drain half water and add antifreeze

This is all stuff that should be done to keep you off the ditch.