1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help Opinions Western V - Meyer V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nice&Green, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Nice&Green

Nice&Green Junior Member

I have a 2001 ford f250 super cab 8ft bed. Ride right air bags on front and rear

The problem is I had my heart set on putting a wide-out on it but i have the 4800 front end so I was told the only thing i can put on it is a 7.5ft straight blade western.

I noticed the Meyer superV will work on it but have heard horror stories about meyers.

Any opinions on this? wanted a western but dont think its worth finding a new truck over... Is there that big of a diffrence
  2. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Is it a diesel? Our 2500 has the 4800 front end (I believe) and its got a wideout on it. With enough ballast in the back (a vbox) it hasn't given us any issues
  3. Nice&Green

Nice&Green Junior Member

Gas, I know it will hold it but no one will install it
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Put a wideout on the truck. It will handle it fine. I have a Fisher XLS on my 2004 Chevy 2500hd truck and weight of the the salter in the back it does fine. The xls is heavier then the wideout. I had to run my 8.6 fisher v plow this past storm and I will tell you how much more productive the xls was. And if anything I would not go with Meyer, But I have a bad taste in my mouth after running meyers for 10 years. Thumbs Up
  5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Have a set of heavier springs put in, then reg it at the higher GVW...then they should put it on..
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Put some xsprings in it, which are 6k springs that give the truck a 5200 lbs FGAWR. Dealer should be ok with it if they aren't idiots
  7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The new meyer plows are not what they used to be-in a very good way (they useds to suck, mostly hydraulic stuff, all the new hydraulics are built by monarch, very good name). I have never personally used a western V, but I have fixed a Fisher extreme V stainless a few times for my neighbor (same basic plow), and my meyer is built far more ruggedly.

If you want to go V instead of expanding plow, give them a serious look
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We are having to install our boss 9'2 today because no one will install it. Its F250 6.0, to much weight. Just added a set of timbers to the front, no sag. Had shop build the plow and we are hanging it. Stay away from meyers, snow dog.. Anything cheaper is junk, I have one more meyer to replace with a boss or western. I'm done with them, junk junk junk, both of them have let me down every storm Thumbs Up
  9. MikeA5150

MikeA5150 Member

Im not one of the numerous Meyer haters, ive used Meyer for years and never had any major issues but I do like my new Western better. I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD with a 4800 front end and Western quick match and the dealer both said my truck was suitable for a wide out and ive always heard the Ford front ends were stronger. Im sure it would be ok.
  10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

between Meyer and Western plows are your options, I would go with the Western!
  11. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

I am about to purchase my first plow or plowtruck. I had kind of ruled out Meyers, was leaning heavily towards the SnowDogg MD75 w/back drag edge added. Small and a few medium length driveways, as well as a few small lots. Lightweight and less expensive yes, and guys that have owned them 3+years have nothing but good things to say about them. Why do you advise to stay away from them? Thanks.
  12. Flawless440

Cheap, junk, you get what you pay for.. Go to weather discussion Ohio form, Mike S has one he bought new for his Chevy 4500.. Read some stuff he writes about it. Whole dam mold board has about ripped off. He keeps having to bend it back, i think weld on it etc etc. They are cheap, they remind me of the Meyers.. A little more money and you can have a Western or Boss last 20 years, then still sell it for $1500
  13. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Been searching the Ohio weather threads, haven't found Mike S. and the SnowDogg post. Thanks for the response though.
  14. Northeastsnow

Northeastsnow Junior Member

I have had the same issue with one of our Ford F250s we purchased about 2 years ago, we wanted to put Fisher XLS on it, dealer wouldnt do it no way do how, so we reached a deal, he would put together plow, wire truck with wiring, and sell us the mount but would not install it on truck that was our responsiblity. that way he didnt have to worry about warranty on truck.

Our truck had the 4800lbs front end as well, we were planning on running vbox the whole time so really didnt worry about ballast in truck.:mechanic:
  15. Northeastsnow

Buyers is in my backyard in Ohio, visited factory before when we were planning on buying new plows, really considered them until visit... we when into the research and devolpment area and low and behold they was a western, fisher, meyers, protech in there all ripped apart, when I asked what they were doing they said that it was how the build plows they take the best of everyone and put it all in one plow... However they use cheaper parts... Good example is the stainless steel, fisher is top quality steel, Buyers is almost as thick as aluimum foil that your wife uses in kitchen comes in huge rolls. There is a reason they are cheaper than the rest.

Snow pushers are even worse, protech I believed has even filed a lawsuit agaist them for copyright infringment.
  16. Flawless440

Wow, there it isThumbs Up
  17. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Damn, that is some insight on Buyers. I found out firsthand, upclose and personal that that practice is how China operates, but one would never think in Ohio. Thank you very much for the info. There is a ton of info on this site for a newbie to digest. Eight out of ten used trucks in this area all come with Meyers set ups. I guess there are good reasons why guys don't part with their Western, Boss, and Fisher. I appreciate your feedback.
  18. Northeastsnow

Meyers is built right in Cleveland, Ohio which is also in back yard. would use a old C8 series with E60H pump again, but never buy a new one. I will try and find the picture of the contractor that plows the meyers factory, (taken by friend getting he Meyers fixed at the repair shop in front factory) he has a Fisher Xtreme V kinda makes you wonder, what they are doing wrong... I will admit that they are getting a little bit better since the switched to Monarch pumps and got away from the fire prone E86 pump ( i think that is the model)
  19. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

"Fire prone" does not sound good at all. Who in their right mind designs and sells a unit like that for the kind of money guys shell out? Well, Craigslist has been loaded with trucks and plows from the non-winter we had last year, I'm sure alot more guys will be bailing after this dud (thus far). Maybe waiting is a good move. Eyeballing a '97 F250 as the main, with my '88 GMC 1/2 ton as the back-up.
  20. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I know these forums are pretty much a free-for-all, but you might want to stick to the truth, or at least things you know something about. If you were here, you weren't paying very close attention. I guess all the machinery building our plows, pushers, spreaders, toolboxes, towing equipment was a little loud and maybe you couldn't hear.

Any engineer that works for me had damned well BETTER bring in the competition to see what they are doing. You can be damned sure that Ford has a room full of Chevy's and vice versa. That's called benchmarking (and it's called being a competent engineer).

To your other point - Buyers uses more stainless steel than all of our competitors combined. We've never messed with off-grade stainless (like many of our competitors) and only use 304 on all of our products. The full size plows use .105" (12ga), and the MD plows use .075" (14ga). That's right up there (or thicker) than the VERY few competing plows with stainless skins. The hundres of tons of stainless that we buy (between our spreaders, plows, and toolboxes) is a large part of why the SnowDogg is so affordable.

So your "'good example" was actually a really "bad example". I guess that kind of sets of bar for the rest of the comment...

Of course, now I see your "fire prone" comment about the Meyer pump - so I guess I won't take it personally. "Fire prone" - really? And how do you "copyright" a pusher? I'm guessing you mean patent, and no, they are not.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013