1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on vbox spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lfaulstick, Oct 26, 2010.

1. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

Hi, all im kinda new here, and i need help with a problem.

I just bought a vbox spreader (used 1 season but has sat for 2) any way, the guy who had it, never oiled chained or cleaned up the box before taking it off, or grease any bearings.

So i did some research before i bought it and figured i would need chain $300-350 bearings $50-100 and im ok with that.

Come to find out its a 7ft ice breaker and western is the only one that makes the chain and its $686 plus shipping from my western guy.

But here is my question i found chain with same dimensions off a flink 8ft, (i would just take some links out to get it down to a 7ft) but the only problem i see is the chain number is differant i have chain number 662 and the flink is chain 667 would this be so different it wouldn't work? can someone please help?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would think if it fits all the original dimensions then it would work. You'd be surprised how many of these parts fit other spreaders. The same Fisher pillow bearing on my 1000 (from Fisher) is around 55.00 and a local bearing company has them for 23.99.
  3. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

yea i have seen what you are talking about, i have been looking....i was at central tractor (tractor supply, i still cant get it in my head they changed) and found all bearings i need for 35 dollars, vs. like 100 from western.

What I was mainly worried about is the chain number 662 vs. 667 which i would imagine that is strength of chain?
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

the only problem with that is the width of my chain its 14 1/4 wide. Thats why the closest one i could fine was off a flink, which is 14 1/4, but there chain is #667 not 662
  6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Did you try and free up the chain that you have?
  7. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

yea i am in the process of freeing it up now with blaster, i just got it to where i could roll it up some what and i put it in a tub and put diesel fuel over it. I think it will work, but my concern is that the rust is really bad on the pins, and some are rusted away pretty good. didnt know if it would hold up with a load in it..because that is the last thing i need is it breaking with a load in the hopper