1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jkiser96, Dec 31, 2007.

1. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I have a 2006 2500HD that we just put an 8'2" Boss V. When the plow is up & I am barely moving the steering is real labored, the truck is real hard to turn & the steering pump growls a little. This truck only has 1800 miles on with the plow prep & heavy everything on it so I am baffled as to why this is happening. Any help is appreciated greatly.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you turning at a stand still? Try and turn after you start to move .

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Even if I turning a corner slow it is still hard to turn. I have talked to a few other guys that have the same setup but no problems with the steering.

4. grandview

I guess then check fluid and belt.Try and jack the front up and see if it does the same thing.

5. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Fluid is full, Belt is tight & the truck turned fine until the weight was added. If the truck can't handle this then I will get rid of the piece of Chevy & buy a Ford that will handle the weight.

6. grandview

That's what I like to hear!

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Add more air to the front tires. Mine are at 80 psi-even with the rear. When you lift the plow it causes the tires to bulge, which creates more contact with the pavement. More contact=more friction=hard to turn. Try this out and see how it works. Plus the narrower tire path makes it easier to cut thru the snow:nod:

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

They'll handle the weight thanks to that antiquated front suspension with donkey freaking leaf springs. I'm surprised they don't have wooden spoked wheels still. Oh yeah, it also comes with locking hubs if you feel like getting out of the truck to stretch now and then.

Check tire pressure. Check idler arm. Take it back to the dealer and tell them pump is junk and you want a new one.

9. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I personally like my lockouts & manual shifter on the floor. I figure if it won't go in 4x4 then either the shift linkage is broke or a major prob instead of vacuum or electrical to chase down. I like it when I raise my V-plow & it drops the front end only 1/2" instead of having to crawl underneath & up the T-bars or put Timbrens on it & still have it drop way too much. Oh by the way I will have my cousin check the air pressure on the fronts & see what happens. Thanks guys you have been real helpful. I will have to say I don't know of too many sites that are this informative & has such a wide range of knowledge on just about anything.:waving:

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I would buy a new pump.

11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

He's talking about me, just so you know. I have a wide range of knowledge on just about anything.

JK, I'm just having some fun here.

12. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Same here Detroit. I guess if you can't have a little fun & aggravate eachother every now & then it wouldn't be the same on here:salute:

13. MYTWOSONS

MYTWOSONS Junior Member

I ran into the same problem with my 2005 Chevy Silverado 1/2-ton with a 550-lb Blizzard 760LT hooked on the front (The Blizzard "Smart Match" said that this plow was the one recommended for a 1/2-ton truck). I added Timbrens which helped some, and added an additional 100 pounds of ballast to the recommended 450 pounds called out on the Blizzard website. Helped out quite a bit, but still noticable when turning wheel from a dead stop, or low speed such as pulling out of the garage, or turning into a parking space. All the added weight puts the engine on a drinking binge though.:drinkup:

14. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Same problem with my 04 2500hd. According to dealer it was "perfectly normal". Had an 02 f350 diesel with same problem though. Myne seemed to go away with the 245's back on. It only does it with the 285's. Must just be too much surface area. I agree though, it could be imporoved upon.

15. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Update

My cousin took the truck in & of course the "Tech" siad that was completely normal for those trucks. They went & checked there lot truck with the same setup & it was about the same. This just sounds like GM has a lot to learn about HD trucks, but that is my opinion, This just seems like a much weaker truck than what I am used to. I guess if it ever snows here again we will find out what the truck plows like. Thanks again everyone for the info.

16. TTA89

TTA89 Member

I think the Ford is a better plow truck because of the front end design, but thats about all it is better at. The Chevy is better for everything else, Towing, Daily Driving, Comfort, Ride, Quietness, etc, etc, etc.

How many times a year does it snow? 7-12? The Chevys plow fine and is much nicer to drive all those other days out of the year IMO. prsport