1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by caz41, Nov 29, 2004.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

Looking at getting a receiver hitch mounted spreader, what is the best bang for the buck. I really like the idea of the Boss with the power lift assist. Are there any other models by other brands that offer the lift assist. I need it to be easy mounted by one person, without the help of heavy equipment for the lifting. Thanx
  2. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey caz i know the deal with the one man thing i have to mount all my stuff my self and have many salters so this is what i have found out. I have 3 types meyers mini snow ex 575 buyers suv pro. The lightest one is the buyers the plastic is thin cutting down on price and weight all run the same control box all same plugs ect but the buyes needs some changes to the spinner . The bigger is not always better the meyers mini tends to over heat the control box if you load it up full so why do it. i only put 5-7 bags in at a time so thats about the same as the buyers. My point is if you dont mind loading more why have the big box in the way of your backing view and angelos has the truck spreader on sale now for 800 bucks with the control box new so not bad in my book also low profile. just my 2 cents Eric...ps look at the drop down or swing thing buyers has i changed my other 2 to that drop down thing works in my way of offloading reserve...
  3. andersonbldrs

andersonbldrs Member

did you say you can only load 5-7 bags in a new buyers? What model? As I just bought a new tgs05A from angelos which will hold 12 bags (supposedly) haven't used it yet. But i don't want to burn it up when i do either. thanks
  4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

The new Boss spreader is very nice. Yes, it will hold 12-50lb bags of rock salt. It is the same tub as my SnowEx 1075.
  5. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Hi, I have a buyers TGS1 , it is a tailgate or bumper mount, but I have the optional hitch mount on mine. It will hold 600 lbs of salt and works just fine. Controller doesn't get hot.
  6. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Overheating control box soultion

Karrier offers the Omega spinner motor controller. It comes with a 2 year warranty and is set from the factory to start up in "Jack Hammer" mode. Jack Hammer mode hammers through stuck material and starts the spinner without overheating the controller. The Omega also comes standard with "Guardian." Guardian limits the current output and never allows the controller to over heat. You can drive full power to a dead short without hurting the spinner motor or the controller. And if the wiring harness is at least 12 gauge wire you won't damage the wires either.

So get an Omega controller by Karrier and load your spreader to the max!

Bob Church
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2004