1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on removing oil pan from 1990 Ford 250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ShannonS, Feb 14, 2004.

1. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

Well stared out should have been an easy job. So as the book says, did everything except take the tranny cross over out. Thats the only thing except the fan shroud to take loose. The book says take out the intake manifold and just going crazy trying to get the damn oil pan off next step is to just take the oil pump out and go that way. Yes I jacked up the front with a block but still cant get it high enough to get past the pump . Have also taken the pick up tube out aswell any idea's???? Thanks for all your help

2. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

i did one a year ago on a 96 f-350.we had the trans out at the time.it wasnt as easy as that.we had the exaust off,the motor mounts off andhad to jack the motor up enough to drop the pickup tube off then the pump off into the pan.i think taking the upper intake off will give enough clearance to get the pan off with the pump in place.its rough working on them,but take your time and everything falls in place

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Are you replacing the oil pan(hole rusted through it) or just trying to replace the gasket(that was probably pushed out by the starter). Oil Pan replacement for an experienced tech is 6+ hours.

4. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

changing oil pump, lost oil pressure, ticks like no other, ran about 30 or so miles to get home got it into the garage started takin it apart. I dont wanna take the intake off that would take forever. The tranny crossmember is out now along with the exhaust jacked up the tranny and the front end of motor still cant get enough room to take out pan. But i am gonna let it down and reposition the front end jack to get more travel out of it.

5. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

and you are right the oil pan is rusted so might aswell find a new oil pan too or used anyway

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It is a very tight fit but it will come out. We have never had to remove the upper intake plen.. Remove the oil pump pick-up tube. The pan will come out with everything you have removed provided you have it jacked up far enough. IT MUST BE in just the right position to slide out. It will NOT just fall out. Go with a new pan they all rust and peel. Finding a good used one will be tough. Good Luck.

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

yea, yuo will have to pull on the pan even after jacking it up as far as it will go...the pan should come down about an inch or so before the bottomo of the tranny...when i did mine, i just took off uper plenum, egr, motor mount nuts and pulled up as high as i could go, i didn't touch the tranny.

8. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

well finally got it out the pan anyway, now for the oil pump. Got two bolts and its out. The pan you have to twist it a little towards the passanger side to allow for the oil pump to clear, man what a pain in the butt this has been. A day and a half to get this thing out and not done yet. Taking a break now for awhile