1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on pricing..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Rock, Mar 1, 2003.

1. The Rock

The Rock Junior Member
    from maine

This coming winter is going to be my first plowing more than a few yards. I have a F250 with a plow and am getting a 1 ton dump and putting a plow on that. Anyways, I need help on a price for a narrow tar road, that is a access road for people that live on the lake year around. Total distance is just about 1 mile(in & out). This is the first road that I will be doing and need some help on pricing. Not sure if they will need it sanded or not so please provide with and without sand.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I have a few of these roads. I start with a base of $100 per mile (one way) for 3" to 6", then add for difficult areas like steep hills, sharp curves etc. I use a salt/sand combination. How much you use will vary greatly by what you've got to deal with. Is the surface snow-packed, ice-covered, inclines and declines will need for than flat surface etc. I use 3 yards of mix per mile as a "worst case" scenario for covering the whole road heavily to lightly treating just the hills. If you're working on a finished surface (asphalt, etc) you might want to consider pretreating with treated salt to prevent a bond to the surface. You'll need to plan how you're going to keep the snow "pushed back" - these roads fill in pretty quickly.

If you'd like, we could arrange to get together sometime and "brainstorm". There are a lot of things to keep in mind with these private roads that you don't encounter with driveways.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Those are my most lucrative accounts,for us "backwoodsman"they are our bread and butter,most of these guys talk parking lots,well we talk private roads!We have no parking lots around here so this is were most of my money is made.You take a private road with 12+ houses on it and your making some fast money.
    All of my roads are set at a 1" trigger with the first price increment at 1-3" at aproxx. $75/mile on up.Try to set a low trigger and keep on top of them,if your dealing with hills they can quickly get away from you!

4. Mick

from Maine

Most definately agree with Arc Burn about the one inch trigger and staying on top of it. It's just that the pricing is set using what I said, so less that 3" I'll usually do at a bargain rate unless it's wet & heavy etc. And yes, having several houses to a road is nice. payup

5. The Rock

The Rock Junior Member
    from maine

replys

Thanks for you replies. I was figuring around 100.00 per mile due to a few good hills and a tight corner. I will have a better idea of what I am looking at come spring. Mick- being in Maine whats your calculation for the average amount of plow-able storms per year?

6. Mick

from Maine

I use twelve as a base for setting a seasonal contract. But that may mean one snowfall of ten inches count as two plows. I actually figured this up the other day. So far this year with a 3" trigger, there have been seven occasions so far where I plowed.

Does that make sense? Help any?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2003