1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on pricing new (old) truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by absnyder, Mar 4, 2007.

1. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

first wanted to say Im new here and have appreciated all the info so freely given,it helped me know where to start when I decided to add plowing to my roofing business.Anyway I was looking for a different dump truck to replace my old one and ran into a 86 Chevy c30 w/ a 350 with a brand new myers on the front.There 's virtually no rust on the cab or bed. The guy who owns it has some land and says since he's had it (about) 9 years its only been used for an occasional run for dirt and gravel and barn stored the rest of the time.Hes asking $6,800 but will neg. I dont need the plow now since I have a brand new one on my gmc but sure would be nice for a backup and an xtra pusher as my bus. grows. i thought about offering about $6000 (he was a dead set on about $5500) any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like a good deal to me.

You could also put a nice V-Box in the back of that for salting.

I don't see any down side of what you are planning. If you can take this guys word on the truck usage and mileage then I would say go for it before it gets bought out from under you leading you to kick yourself next season. The plow alone is worth at least 3K$.

3. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

I ment to say he was a definate no on the offer of $5500 and I thout of offering $6000 and hope to get it around that price or maybe$6300 tops.Anyway the I was thinking about trying to get into some salting next year as you suggested and this dumper wuold probably be better than beating up my gmc for that.Thanks for the info.

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

A 86 C30 out this way

A 86 C30(2wd) out this way in good shape(Turn Key) would get between $3,500-$4,500(Retail) TOPS.
    You should be able to find a very clean 4x4 for that kind of money.

5. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

Ive researched it and all the trucks that age are going from $3500-$6800 most with no plow and none with a brand new one(only a couple scratches) and all of them somones work truck.Most of them with a plow up in the N.E. states are going for about $4500 but I know they've probably pushed their share of snow. This thing hasnt been used for any commercal work in about 10 years.All that I've seen as clean as this are going for $5000-6500 with no plow everywhere else. I really dont want somones work truck that they're done abusing which usaully isn't a choice for somthing this old.

6. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

You can get a good used 90's 4x4 truck for that much. Four years ago I bought a 97 chevy 2500 4x4 for 8,000 with a plow, insert dump and in good shape. Just wait and good deal will come around.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

For a gasser that age, regardless of the new plow, it does seem high to me (at least for this area). Might want to shop around.

Remember the good buys do not last that long.

8. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

Thanks guys! Im keepin my eye on one in PA on e-bay.Its close enouph to check it out before I buy.Anyone ever had any luck looking on e-bay?

9. Oshkosh

Your research is flawed at best

Depending on where you shop maybe those are the prices that you saw.
    I am telling you your research is flawed at best,it makes you feel better to pay double what a 20 year old 2wd one ton is worth then by all means it is your choice.
    Most of the trucks with plows in the N.E are 4x4's,2wd's are mostly masons trucks and dont have plows hanging off of them to begin with.
    I have been in the auto/marine/equipment sales and brokerage field for over 23 years.
    Best of luck on your purchase.

QUOTE=absnyder;381268]Ive researched it and all the trucks that age are going from $3500-$6800 most with no plow and none with a brand new one(only a couple scratches) and all of them somones work truck.Most of them with a plow up in the N.E. states are going for about $4500 but I know they've probably pushed their share of snow. This thing hasnt been used for any commercal work in about 10 years.All that I've seen as clean as this are going for $5000-6500 with no plow everywhere else. I really dont want somones work truck that they're done abusing which usaully isn't a choice for somthing this old.[/QUOTE]

10. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

I was by no means saying what you had to say first wasnt valed, nor was it not appreciated and recieved. I was simply stating that on all the local research and web searching those were the numbers ive found from AZ to MA. Wanted to see what anyone else thought. however, after further research it appears to me that all the higher priced trucks seam to be somones "baby" or people thinking that they can get more for thier plow truck after a few snows since it hadnt snowed much in the previous 3 winters(around here anyways) trying to profit from the fly by nights with snow fever. That seams to match up with what has been relayed to me from those who know a little more than I on this sight. Thanks again for your imput, I'd rather you be frank than buying somthing that id regret.

11. Oshkosh

lol ,I just hate to see anyne pay to much..

I just hate to see anyone pay retail or over....We just had a 2000 GMC 1 ton 4x4 diesel with P/A plow,80k miles just parked, turn key ready to go for $7,500 at a local town sealed auction.

12. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

ya i think you should keep looking, i just looked in the want ad and theres an 89 Chevy 2500 with 68k miles and an 8' Fisher for $4800...i' keep looking for something newer

13. Oshkosh

I was thinking something like this for example.

1993 F350 Dump Truck - $4,600
    4x4, 1-owner, 53k mi
    Date posted: 2/16/2007 12:53:16 PM
    Phillipston, MA
    Phone: (978) 249-9571

16605_1_sm.jpg

14. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

Yeah, Ive seen quite a few up your way for that price,some with plows too. They've been a little harder to come by in these parts. Everything I've seen so far is either a rust bucket,high miles, or needs work. I start back to work on Monday and dont have time to travel.Wish I would have started looking a little sooner.

15. Oshkosh

It is funny how markets...

It is funny how different markets can be so different.
    What doesnt sell here is getting top dollar somewhere else in the country.Guess that is why we see so much equipment moving around the country...

16. absnyder

absnyder Junior Member

Hey Oshkosh

I looked again after i read your post and there's a 92 Ford w/ 87k, 2wd, and a beat up plow by Toledo for $7500. Wish I was up by you.

Its getting harder to be patient.Work starts on Mon. and every week that goes by w/out a dumper will cost me about $150- $200 per wk. xtra in renting dumpsters. My 75 Ford is unsafe and Im not spending anymore on it.Its done. Then time becomes a factor since Im on the jobs 90% of the time and have estimates,billing, and all the other blah,blah,blah.Seems I'll lose money one way or the other. I guess another lesson learned the hard way. PLAN AHEAD! I had plenty of days it didnt snow to look.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007