1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on medical building plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PORTER 05, Dec 8, 2008.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

just got a call to give a price on a medical building plowing/shoveling......pritty easy parking lot to plow - and easy for the crew to shovel, but any thoughs on the risk of the liabilty in a spot like this, im thinking maybe just skip out on it, there will be tons of old people60-90 yrs old walking in with wheel chairs cruches walkers ect, i can only see the calls coming in from slip and falls, whats youre though????hate saying no to jobs and not buildinbg but sometimes its better to say no than yes???? just any thoughs on this would be great any one do any plowing on areas like this, its pritty much a docters office just people going in and getting check-ups and what-not.i am asked to plow, and shovel all walks.

thanks guys
  2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i did one last year, we priced it by the hour and left a truck there the whole storm during business hours, after hours it was a set rate
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'ts snowing.
    It's icy
    As long as you aren't negligent (simply didn't show up, let 2 feet build up, didn't put salt down at all,etc), there is no case.

that's what insurance is for.

Bid it

and BTW, I do two dentist's office and thought the same as you and those people are SO CHEAP I had to pull them to a 1" trigger. They wanted to do a 4 inch trigger ON A MEDICAL BUILDING, I told them to find someone else. That's negligence.
  4. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

like mike said. the co i work for does a med. building and we just leave a truck and shoveler on site throughout the storm to keep the lanes open and sidewalks clear and salted
  5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya, i dont think i will need to leave a truck there , there is just one lot maybe holds 25 cars and there are only 2 walks, one is about 30 feet the other 15 with, long ones a ramp the other stairs....

mike, you sadi you did one last year are you going to be doing it again last season, what did you charge per HR?
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

They are a risk. I am doing one in NBPT this season, and I go every morning around 4 am and make sure there is not one square inch of ice on the lot. Its a serious thing doing a place like that, so really put some thought into it before you go for it. Bid it hight, give them a price that will make the risk, and agrivation worth it to you.

By the way, where abouts on the north shore are you from?

And one last thought, be very careful of someone with a medical building who has not even signed a contract already this season. Its getting late and it could be due to them having a rep as non payers or just a PITA.
  7. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

we are out of gloucester, nice little fishing town thats going down hill lol.....some parts are very nice though lots of huge houses with lots of money!!!!!!!!good for landscaping...

ya this place was just renovated, ive seen 4 companys plowing the lot in just 4 years, i dont know whats goingon, its a very easy plow not a huge lot at all maybe 15 or 20 passes to entrances to the main rd another little parking lot 3 cars worth and 3 walks to shovel, i dont understand why there has been so many guys in there....i dont know if its worth it it being so small i cant imagine making any more than$300 or $400 a storm out of it and to think of all the calls from that place with 90 + YR old ladies in walkers slipping and such, i dont know.....theres a landscape company in there already doing all the landscaping, i asked about that and she said that there is a comapny already doing it, so its not like i can get int here and get the landscape contract which is what i really what out of these places not the plowing..

thanks alot for the advice.
  8. merrimacmill

from MA

Its been quite awhile since I've been to Gloucester, why do you say its going down hill? Just wondering. I imagine fishing is still a huge industry there just like its always been right? A few of the boats will come up here to newburyport for the winter once all the yuppy yachts leave for florida, or are taken out.
  9. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

its pritty bad, alot of the small boats are gone, its all big boats know only about 10 or so and they are all owned out of this counrty all of the money gos out of the counrty....theres ton of drugs in town and there tonnns of junkies theres tons of poor houseing and know they are brining in ahuge mall with marshels staples home depot market basket ect we dont want that at all.....
  10. merrimacmill

from MA

Wow, doesn't sound that nice anymore. It used to be a nice little town. So none of the 50 foot and below boats are left? We got about 10-15 of them left here in NBPT. I think atleast, they come and go all the time, but from what I'm guessing thats what I'd say.
  11. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya there are a bunch of the smaller boats 30-50 maybe 20 or 30, but theres 16,000 or so people that live in gloucester so thats not many people fishing ya know, most of the guys live outa town also....i mean its not terrible but it used to be alot better, ill tell you newberryport is a whole lot nicer, its ok weve got rockport and thats about as nice of a town as you can get lol.there are 3 really nice areas of gloucester though and thats where we all work-
  12. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

i did one last year and was good just salt the( **** out it )
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

These are the only type places that I will take on. If it is not a 0 tolerance, I'm not interested, and we won't do it. If you are able to fill your schedule with places like this, you will be on the most lucrative path possible. Go for the places that don't care what it takes,...they just want wet pavement at 8 a.m.. Attorney offices, medical plazas, and many professional centers are like this. There are the major retailers that are like this, as well.
  14. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

That is exactly how I have been trying to build my business. I do a medical clinic, attorney, dentist, and warehouse that are all 0 tolerance. I have other lots too, but these are the ones that pay whatever it is. I say take advantage of your opportunity!