1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on Bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TurbDies2500, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

Hey guys, I have been doing mostly driveways for the past few years with some parking lots but I am just looking for some advice on bidding these two parking lots. Plowing and sanding.

Thanks for the help. I have two trucks. 8 foot plows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurbDies2500

Any advice on methods of calculating a bid. What are some common square foot prices, etc.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3,500.00 each for the season.

4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

Stick to driveways. If you have to ask how much, you have no clue.

5. TurbDies2500

Got to start somewhere, Im sure there was a time when you didn't have much of a clue either. Thanks for the help.

6. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

all i am saying is that you got to know your own numbers. posting for help on here is crazy. Prices vary from area to area. Plus sat photos dont give you the whole picture. Ie cant tell condition of lot, size of curb ( to push over), drain locations ( not just lot drains but roof drains too)... thier is just so much more . Plus ITS ALMOST THE MIDDLE OF NOVEMBER!!!! Where were they in october??? Could be pitas or no pays thats why they are searching NOW.

7. TurbDies2500

true but I just wanted to hear what people had to say about them just to compare with what I was thinking about them. I sub contract for a large landscaping company and do some of my own work so I get a lot of help from that company on bidding but I just thought I would post up to get some more ideas. The more opinions the better i think. A lot of places in Southern NH allow bidding until about the 3rd week in November anyway, from what I have seen and heard anyway.

The more you know the better off you are. Just looking for some friendly advice.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

they look like $90.00 per push lots at 2-4" of accumulation....I would estimate around 200# of salt each location.

Probably take around 30min or less to clear each location.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

30-40 minutes each with 300-500lbs of salt each depending on conditions.

nms0219-if you don't want to help that's fine but you don't have to be a jerk. Some people aren't blessed like you and know everything. Some actually want to learn.

10. TurbDies2500

thanks a lot for the help guys. Every bit helps.

11. TGM

TGM Senior Member

that's too low for our area. at 20 storms you're only making $175 per lot..is that really worth the truck abuse, liability, etc.? then minus the cost of salt which the cheapest i've found is about $68/ton in bulk...mixed with sand (then any storage, etc.). so now you're down to oh maybe $140 per lot per storm. not bad for a quick 3", but on a 12" storm no way in my opinion..

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe in your area,but not here. Why are you waiting to plow 12 inches of snow at one time?

13. TGM

TGM Senior Member

oh i don't wait. but i charge more for more snow. personally i try to get a minimum of $150 per push.. or a minimum of an hour charge even if i'm there for 35minutes (@ $150/hr) on commercials. residentials are a whole different story.

i'm on the high side for pricing per truck...so say he charges $100/hr and he's there at each property 3 times in a 7" storm...$100x3= $300 per storm, per property + sand/salt (roughly $80/yard spread). Now he could charge less for cleaning the lanes and a cleanup fee at the end, but it will come out close to the same price in the end.

again we're all flexible on average, seasonal price and the economy. that just my opinion for our area and what i would bid it at..