1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Kevin Sh, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Kevin Sh

Kevin Sh Junior Member

Hello All

I need a little help up here in Ontario Canada I have a new client and he thinks we should do his lane way cheaper.

The Lane way is 150 feet long and has a three car garage at the end of the lane and it is30 ft wide at the end and comes down about 25 ft.We do not have a plow but with 2 snow blowers it take us 30 to 40mins.We charge him $40 per blow I was just wondering if you think that is to much.

He said he had a gentlemen last year who snow blow his lane way for $9 per 15 mins or 36 per hour I have not heard of the 15 min rate I was wondering if that is common In snow removal it just seems that way will make things to difficult to keep track of the mins you are a there house and allot of paper work.

The way he sounds he wants us to bill him for every 15 mins we are there.I was wondering if that is common I would appreciate all the info you guys can give us on this problem.

P.S we have had about 120cm or 48 inches of snow so far.

Thanks Kevin

2. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Sorry I have to do this. I don't know your area let alone location. it's pretty late in the season to think about it. just drop a number in his hat and walk. Trust me. I don't know what you do in the spring and summer. But that is what I would be looking at right now.

3. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Honestly, stick with the $40. Its already Feb, 6-8 weeks to go.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok listen, if he is going to be a PITA about this whole deal, then fire him. Or I have another solution for you. Agree to the 15 minute thing, and still charge him 40 dollars. Tell him he goes on the clock as soon as you leave the last job, and the clock doesn't stop untill you are loaded up and ready to leave his place to head to the next. Just let him know if you do it that way the job you do right before his is clear across town, and it may cost him more than the orginal 40 dollars.

5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Why isn't the "last guy" still doing it? Maybe he heard the same story about how little he was paying the other last guy and did not want to lower rates. He might just be trying to find a sucker to keep lowering prices with. My suggestion is do as he recommends. If you charge $40 for a job that takes you 40 minutes to do, that comes out to $60 per hour. So $15 for every 15 minutes, and 40 minutes makes three 15 minute partitions out of an hour. So my math comes out to $15 X 3 = $45. Remember it is what he requested...lol. Give him the option of going back to the old way you were charging him ($40) or he can always call the "last guy" that did it for less. :D

Matt

6. Krimick77

Krimick77 Member

Stick with the $40 bucks. I would never want to be charging residentials by the hour or minute. Flat price or find someone else.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

$40 for 60-80 minutes?

I don't work that cheap in the summer.