1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help on bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Mikemat31, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Hi all my name is mike I am almost 18. I gave this guy a bid I don't know exactly how many square feet the drive is. I would like to hear your numbers to see if they matched with mine. He doesn't want any salt/calcium etc. he has a koi pond and he killed the fish a few years back with the salt. I quoted him on a 6in and 12in. He has a 2in trigger. There is no side walk except the one from the drive way to the house. Note I don't have a plow only two snowblowers, so my overhead is cheaper than most.

Thanks again
    ps I will post later on what I quoted him.

Screen Shot 2012-11-26 at 12.10.15 PM.png

2. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

can someone please help!!!!!!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

600 for the season.

4. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Little more info. My specific county receives on average 27.2in a year. I also live in the 39th wealthiest county in the country, so prices are probably much higher

5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

How long do you estimate to clear the property?

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I think GV is right on.
    Besides, wealth or not, just price the job accordingly.

7. grandview

They don't get rich spending money.27 inches could be 1 snow for me.

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

zero tolerance accounts?

9. grandview

nope......

10. birddseedd

ok im going to assume you meant money. 27 not money.27. nevermind me.

11. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I notice that looks like a Google Earth image. Have you not discovered the ruler feature of Google Earth? No reason not to know square footage on that drive.

12. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

I have used it put its been some time. I told the gentleman $180 for 12" and $90 for 6"
    I think my numbers would be around $600 if we have an average year.

13. grandview

So your not going to do anything till there's 6 inches on the ground?

14. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

I put in a bid at another job. The driveway isn't the whole thing its split into half down the middle. There is a little divider that you can't really see, the driveway isn't quite as big as it looks. Maybe 2.5-3 cars long. I felt bad because I thought I over bid on the first site, stupid me, I came in what I thought was kind of low. Let me know what you what you would have charged for a 6" snowfall and a 12".

-Also what exactly does it mean when people charge "per push" does that mean per event?

thanks in advanced

Screen Shot 2012-11-26 at 9.36.03 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  15. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

No I per rate it, so 3" $45. If there is a wet heavy event, on the bottom of the estimate it states all prices are subjected to change. Therefore, I will (at least I hope) will be covered in that case.

16. grandview

Just notice your age,what about school when it snows/

17. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

All my clients know that I am a high school student, sometimes you got to wake up early not go to sleep, or play hookie once or twice. I am a senior this year and I do have a reduced work load as far as school. I am not disagreeing with you at all, but that the deck I was dealt and Ill deal with it

18. birddseedd

Keep in mind, the last guy i know that did something like this is now a millionaire.

don't let anyone discourage you. work hard to keep your grades up. the business isn't worth your grades, but work hard at the business and you could be rich 5 years from now.

19. Mikemat31

Mikemat31 Member

Thats the idea, hopefully, I want to own commercial real estate and open a site management company that will maintain my properties along with others, we would do everything from snow removal to sanitation. (Thats the idea in theory) lol

20. birddseedd

Thats a good theory. that cuts out the middle man and gets you more work AND more profits.