1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on a parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mccluskeyservic, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Mccluskeyservic

Mccluskeyservic Junior Member

hey guys,
    been doing snow plowing for a couple years now. have always done residential but have gotten into commercial as well. i have not done huge commercial jobs however. the ones i have are smaller not like Jewel Osco size. wanted to get to bigger lots this year and need to put a bid in. im asking for some help on this and if im going at it the right way. i have 2 trucks and a sidewalk crew i am not 100 percent maxed out yet so i know i could handle it.

i measured the lot and it has about 166,000 sq ft of asphalt
    it has 1,100 feet or 5,500 sq ft of sidewalks that need to be cleared.
    the guy use to do it by himself said it took him about 4-5 with sidewalks but had another guy shovel the walk ways.

what he is looking for; side walk crew as one price: with sidewalk safe salt.

parking lot one 1 price: would have both trucks there

salting the parking lot

and then he would like 1 price for everything all together.

my crews are: side walk crew has 2 guys with atv with plow and salt spreader and 1 snowblower along with shovels
    trucks: usually 1 or 2 guys per truck with shovels and 1 truck always has a snowblower. other salt spreader.

not sure if i should bill him hourly or what? but any help on this would be greatly appreciative!
    thank you guys!

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would think a single truck would be on site 3/4 hours for a 2/3 inch event

Can the plow truck jump up on entry?

What kind of business is it?

Plenty of places to stack?

About about a 12 inch event? Salt?

3. Mccluskeyservic

okay. i would agree there. its a pretty open lot. he wants snow piled in one corner up front out of the way but even if it took up a couple spaces he doesnt mind. but would like a lot of the snow piled in the back where not to many people park.

this is 2 small strip malls. one is office buildings and other individually owned places. along with a food place up front to take care of as well.

he said he does not mind the plow on the sidewalks but would have to becareful. some of them are chipped and cracked already.

a 12 inch event i would have to plan for and get a price. just never priced something this big and want to go at it the right way.
    if i had to bobcat rental place done the street 2 miles.

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like you might be trying to price the job to win the bid...be careful. Price to make money above and beyond all overhead and a modest stipend for yourself. Only you know what that final number is. Better to lose a bid than win it and "push" or lose money.

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Is he expecting a discount for everything all together?

Do you have a photo? Only you can know your costs. What are you thinking of bidding it for, and how do you arrive at those numbers? I can tell you what I would bid it for, but I would rather have you tell me what you are thinking and then give you feedback. Better way for you to learn IMO.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  6. Mccluskeyservic

Honestly I was not planning on giving a discount. I need to make money and not just lose it.
    I can probably get a picture up here. The main reason I want to bid on this is because its about 2-3 miles away from my house. And I also have a small commercial lot right around the corner from it. I charge them 100 bucks and im there maybe 40 minutes. So I don't think its to bad but that still seems low.

I figure 2/3 inch event with at least one truck there 3/4 hours I could get 125 an hour so that would be 500 just to plow the lot. To me it makes sense. But not sure because there are some curbs and light poles to go around.

Ill also say this is my first year to run a sidewalk crew by themselves so I am still working on a price. I just figured 2 guys for what i have.
    Not sure about hours or anything. I was reading around and heard 45 an hour for sidewalk crews. I live in Illinois so I would have to find a going rate. I would like to stay competitive and in a place where I can keep growing.

Ill take any feed back from you guys. I do appreciate it. I just would like to here from guys who have been doing it awhile so that I don't loss my ass on thing.

To salt the parking lot I figure 15 bags of salt. I have a tail gate salt spreader have to load with bags.
    $150 to salt.

Sidewalks he wants the better salt for that
    I figured 6 bags of salt $150 for that as we

7. JimMarshall

from NW PA

You're way way low on that figure for salt. Way, way low. 15 bags would do a quarter of that. I don't know your market there, but I would be around $400 per push here. $300 to salt (bulk) and $250 on the walks with MgCl

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What's the address, so we can find it on findlotsize.com, or post a picture of it. It sure would help us help you.

9. Mccluskeyservic

Well thank you. Ill keep that in mind for salt.
    Ill figure that out.
    I just need to price it so if we were to get 8 inches im not losing my ass.
    The address is 15750 south bell rd homer glen il
    It includes Nicks BBQ up front.
    Does not include big r, the bank in the corner, or the other office buildings in the back

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't know how to screenshot, but is this the property we're talking about? Roughly 1.7 acres?

20151020_234244 [1600x1200].jpg

11. Mccluskeyservic

Yes. But that is only part of the lot. That's the front. Once I get on my computer I can pull it up. Have some issues with my tablet.
    Should also be some office buildings on the other side, behind the bank

12. Mccluskeyservic

Here's the lot. This is the full lot I have to plow

Screenshot_2015-10-21-08-44-04.jpg

13. Buswell Forest

from NH

4.4 acres. I personally would want to have a machine with a 10 or 12 foot pusher there along with a truck. And the truck needs a 2 yard sander/salter. The faster you can get it done, the faster you can move on to the next lot or driveway. I do not see the logic in tying up a truck for 5 hours.
    Time is money. Of course, if you have no funds for a machine then you make due.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You should be able to plow an acre (2-4") with a 8ft blade on a pickup under 30min ( 1hr for 2 pickups), figure 700# of salt per acre (3000#) and run bulk not bagged.
    The side walks along the road will also have windrows from the roads and will be a PITA. You may want to rethink your approach.
    I don't know your market so I won't throw out a price for the parking lot.

15. 1olddogtwo

That's only a few miles west of me.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

Oy Vey....you would be plowing pretty fast to do an acre in 30 minutes with an 8' straight blade. Not saying it can't be done. Just that with cars, light poles, curbs, and carrying snow to the piles...it might be a stretch on his lot. I would say that is an average of 4 hours for one truck..all told.

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do whatt you do best .low ball it

18. Buswell Forest

from NH

$2999.95 seasonal, AMIRIGHT?

19. 1olddogtwo

I'll put a 926M and 22ft sectional on it, done in 30 mins on a 24in event!!!

20. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Huh? Good luck with that