1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help on a bid

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by thundercat99, Dec 2, 2004.

1. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

question on a bid i just got a phone call for a small private subdivision

460ft of road 18ft wide

3 driveways roughly 1 -50 ft single lane
    1-50ft double
    1 -100ft horse shoe

i have never done a rive in my life the road itself i can figure out

but no clue were to start with the drive listen guys ive only got a couple days to turn this in any help would be appreciated

2. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

BTT, I have no idea, but someone must. It seems that there are many many different ways to bill. I am just guessing, but estimate the time you think it will take you, and charge an hourly rate that will be worth it to you. But I am a newbie, so I know nothing really. :waving:

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First off, pricing is very regional so this may not really be of much help. The "what do I charge" threads are really the hardest to respond to, but maybe this will give you a little insight and you can modify for your situation.

As for the road, it's just under 1/10 mile. Assuming no obstacles and you can just windrow, I'd probably charge $75 for up to 6". At 18' wide - start in the middle and windrow to each side. It'll take four passes with a 7 1/2'.

For driveways, assuming just push straight in and pile at the end of the push. No backdragging or carrying snow to pile in a specific location:

The three 50' singles: $30
    The 50' double: $45
    The 100' horseshoe: $55

All are for up to 6".

There are a lot of other factors that go into pricing, but that's at least a start.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You might "time" how long you think it will take to do it and base rate for it on a hourly rate for it too.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How badly do you want or need the job? To do all of the work it could not take you 1 hour. If you are doing the road then you will not have to do return trips to clean the end of the driveways because the street plow went by. But on the other hand you may have to have all this done so they can get to work in the morning. You can charge more if people place conditions and time frames on the work. If you are happy making $150/hr then use a breakdown to get to this number. On a job like this you can run into some really low pricing as people will look at it and say, I can do that in 45 minutes. Then their price is like $80. As I say, it depends on how bad you want the job.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I see maybe a 30 to 40 minutes tops here for whole job but I would use on price for street and a flat rate price for each drive. The street would take maybe 15 minutes or so tops but because of its size I would charge about 60 to 80 or so just for street and more for each driveway.

7. C.L.M. Inc.

C.L.M. Inc. Junior Member

i am also in chicago and plow you can sub me for for 375.00 tell them you want 450.00 you make 125 and never have to start the truck. i bill on 30 day accounts what area is this in and let me know if you wanna do business

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$450-$375= $75 (not $125)

9. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

thats chicago math, they learned that from the people in charge of elections

10. thundercat99

picked it up

150.00 is what we ended up on should take about a 1/2 hour to do with 2 trucks

11. C.L.M. Inc.

well it is a little hard to add when you got a 13 yr. old wanting to get on the computer and a 2 yr. old tugging on your shirt. sorry for the mistake if i thought you people were so critical i would have never replied. i will be sure to be extra careful in the future with my responses.

12. thundercat99

dont pay any antention

if we had a little more snow people wouldnt be so crabby

were are you based out of

13. C.L.M. Inc.

based in the chicago burbs. main intersection of I-55 and rte 53. just starting out so this is all new to me. wish we would get some snow around here everytime it looks like snow it goes right around us :angry: Keep your finger crossed for sat. like they are saying and merry christmas to all