1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help: no power

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pwrstroke6john, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

The truck is a 2005 Ford F550 diesel Dump with a 9ft pro-plus ultra mount that has 3 cables between the truck and plow. I have no power at all when I connect the cables, the remote doesn't even light up. I am going to start chasing wires, but am looking for any advice on what the problem may be. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Start with the basic's. Check the red accessory power wire that feeds the control harness. Should find it poking out of the control harness under the dash or in the engine compartment depending on where the installer tied it into a truck accessory circuit. Will also have a couple fuses in the control harness out under the hood. They'll be near the Isolation module...be sure to check them both.

3. pwrstroke6john

Turns out it was just dirty connections. Now I just need to get the passenger side low beams to work on the truck and the plow, the rest of the lights work fine.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep checkin' and cleaning. :nod: You can unplug the light harness from the Iso module and check right at the pin to see if the signal is getting from the truck light to the Iso module with a test light.

5. pwrstroke6john

I will try that thanks.

6. DMAXMIKE

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

I am having the same problem :mad: Which pin should have power? I have cleaned all the connections , power , and grounds. The accy wire has power going to the Iso but nothing coming out.

7. DMAXMIKE

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

Are the modules common for going bad?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No it's not common for the Iso's to die...not in any of my experience at least. They're actually very dependable considering environment they run in.

Do the same procedure Mike..check the red wire to be sure it has 12V with the ign switch on, check the fuses in the control harness (including checking for corrosion), be sure the grill plugs are in good shape and make sure your black/orange wire has a good ground at the battery.

9. DMAXMIKE

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

I have power going to the Iso by the red ign. wire but nothing else. If i jump the solenoid i can make the motor run. All the pins in the plugs look like new,I have always used dialectric grease in them from day one. When i first hooked up the plow this year it worked kind of slow and then it went back to working normal. The next day when i started the truck the lights started flashing back and forth betweeen plow lights and truck lights, It did that about five times and then nothing it just acted like the plow wasn't plugged in at all.
    Fuses are all good i have tried different controllers and last night i swapped out the iso box and still nothing......................................I might just have to burn it :mad:

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a burning permit...

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check the black/orange wire for ground right at the Iso module plug with the plow connected...

If it's a 4 port it'll be in port #2...pin "K".

If it's a 3 port Iso it'll be in plug "A"...pin "K".

Should have ground with the plow plugged into the truck.

12. DMAXMIKE

DMAXMIKE Junior Member
    from mi

Had no ground there, cut into the harness and half way between the iso and the connetor to the plow i had a white wire rubbed through and the black/orange wire broke. The wire protector wasn't rubbed through but the wire itself was :eek:
    Thanks for the help B&B :salute:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Congrats on the fix Mike. :drinkup:

Can't say as to why but it's rather common for the DD wiring to break the copper conductor inside the insulation...seems to happen fairly often as I've run into that issue many times over the years.

14. pwrstroke6john

I will have to check into that.