1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! No power to plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mainer1, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mainer1

mainer1 Junior Member
    from Maine

I just purchased a 92 GMC with a Fisher Minute Mount Plow (EHP) as a yard/plow truck. The plow was really slow angling and raising and was drawing a lot of power. I plowed with it yeserday and other than that it was fine. This morning I went out to clean up and the plow would not raise. The motor was running and it would angle. After a few attemtps it stopped completely. Nothing happens when you move the joystick. No motor engaging, no power being drawn, nothing. It's got a brand new solenoid/relay and new motor. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

2. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

no power to the motorat all? Check grounds. See if you have power coming off the controller.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Bad power connection or bad power ground , Bad fitting on power leads. Go to NAPA and get a test light, have someone give plow up input use the test light to make sure you have power and ground.

4. mainer1

mainer1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Correct, no power. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with it to much. I started the truck this morning and tried to raise the plow. I got about 1 second of power but that was it and it sounded weak. Could a tired battery be causing this? I know the battery is really weak and needs replacing but I thought it would still try to draw power.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You got a bad connection some place. If the truck started then the battery is usable.

6. mainer1

mainer1 Junior Member
    from Maine

I just took apart the control box and that looks good. Cleaned all the contacts on all the connections an still nothing! I'll pick up a tester to see where the power is or isn't flowing.

7. mainer1

mainer1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Figured it out! Water had gotten into the cable entry housing and froze up the cables. There was also an out of place wire. Works great now and not a moment to soon! Thanks for all the suggestions.