1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help !!! No 4X4

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

2001 Ford F350 Pickup Diesel. Tonight when I went to plow I locked my hubs in and plulled my 4X4 lever and the light when on. I began to plow and I had no 4x4 I double checked the hubs and double checked the lever and I had nothing. Does anyone have any ideas any fuses or easy things to check. please write back thanks for the help bob!

2. CJC

CJC Junior Member

Get someone to help you, and try this. With the hubs unlocked, engage 4wd high with the transfer case lever and have your helper drive the truck very slowly while you look under at the front drive shaft with a flashlight from the side of the truck. If the drive shaft is turning, the transfer case and engaging mechanism are probably OK, and your problem is likely with one of the hubs not locking. This can happen if a hub gets water in it and it gets cold and freezes. If it seems to be a hub problem (just one malfunctioning will prevent 4wd from working) try warming them up with a heater to melt any ice that'e in there. If warming them up fixes the problem, then leave them locked until you have the time to take them apart and dry them out. If the front drive shaft does not turn while you are watching, then most likely the engaging mechanism is not working. I don't have a Ford, so I can't tell you exactly how this mechanism works in your truck, but if it's a lever on the floor, it's probably a simple mechanical coupling of some kind. Check to see if this mechanism is worn or blocked by ice or something that would prevent it from engaging all the way. Good luck.

3. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Did you get her workin? CJC was right on.

Dick

4. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

yup ! one side was frozen, thanks for the quick response and the solution !

Bob

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

My friend had the same problem with the same truck. Something must've been froze cause after spending some time in the garage and finding nothing wrong with it, he tried it again and it worked. Never happened again.

6. CJC

CJC Junior Member

No problem, glad I could help.