1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help! no 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the eggman, Nov 10, 2010.

1. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

OK , I waited till last min. to get my truck ready for the snow
    and the repair list is big. 1st is to fix the 4x4
    I have a 96 k 1500 z71 with push button switch
    problem is the switch does not light up when key is on
    or running. I checked my fusses and had to replace the transfer
    case fuse. Now when I turn the key on all 3 lights lite up for a
    second then all lights turn off. I have already tried a new switch
    with same results. I am up for any ideas.Thanks for your input.
  2. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

4. tac48

tac48 Member

Did the fuse blow again? It seems an encoder motor ( shift motor bolted to the transfer case) will often make the fuse blow if it is going bad. The lights should all come on for a second or so at key up, then only one should stay on, indicating the range the transfer case is in. Transfer case control module illuminates the light on the switch based on its feedback from the encoder motor. The system has self diagnostics and will set Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Checking for DTCs would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, these older systems can be hard to diagnose. You will likely need to obtain DTC flow charts and wiring diagrams to properly diag. It would not hurt to check the control module for corrosion- located under dash near steering column. Also check the encoder motor for excessive corrosion between it and the transfer case along with the electrical connections.
  5. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I found out my tccm is putting out code dtc 2 = encoder fault
    Now what ??? :mechanic:
  6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I guess ..Repair it......
  7. tac48

tac48 Member

code 2 and the fuse was blown to start with----- from my past experiences 9 out of 10 times the encoder motor itself is the prob. The one 1 out of 10 is the transfer case control module. Be sure to look the wiring harnesses and connectors over very good before spending the money on and encoder motor and/or module
  8. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I have a '94, when mine wouldnt work I replaces the vaccuum actuator with the newer style thermal one, worked fine. except, now it only goes into 4wd sometimes.
  9. the eggman

the eggman Member
    from ohio

I replaced the encoder motor and all is fixed
    Now to find out whats wrong with my brakes
    Thanks all for your reply's