1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! New tractor won't push snow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GEM, Jan 16, 2007.

1. GEM

GEM Junior Member

I just purchased a new Kubota M7040 (70 horsepower) 4 wheel drive tractor and had it fitted with an 1875 SnowEx spreader and a 10 foot push box. Yesterday was first time to try it out. Nothing but problems. Wheels just spin. No traction and unable to steer. The tires are the zigzag mud and snow, not the turf style and the rears are loaded with 700 pounds of gel each. Dealer suggested chains. No way! The lots I do won't allow chains for fear of damage to the pavement. Dealer also said to tip the box back a bit, but that doesn't seem right. Isn't a push box designed to run flat on the shoes or skis. It has a rubber cutting edge also. The push box is attached via a kubota loader with quick release.

Thanks for any help!
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

does it spin just driving or when you are plowing...maby that 10' is too big if that is the case...are you in 4x4 and are you putting too much pressure down adn lifting the front tires up and giving it no traction and a last resort get different tires
  3. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Gem: A picture would help us help you...anyway...70hp4x4...wont push??...ok I see you have a 10 footer on there...are you on ice...and have a full load in that thing???If thats the case try not to load your box up so much...If that snow was wet and you had a full load in there ...you have a lot of weight to push.
    I would have to say try to take 1/2 at a time
    Best of luck.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I just checked the stats, that machine weighs less than 5000 lbs. seems light to be tryin to push a 10' box.......thats like pushing a 10' box with a medium size skidloader.
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would have to agree. That machine is to light for that application. Our JCB backhoe weight was about 12000 and it had a tough time with a 12' box even in light snow.
  6. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

That tractor is way too small for a 10' snow pusher...I own a protech 10' pusher that I run on a Deere 244J loader. It works fine but it is also a 12K-lb machine...its not just horsepower but gearing and weight. Manufacturers are putting some damn powerful motors in small frame compact tractors...great for running big mowers and other implements but not sufficient for moving big weight. A 10' pusher can carry 10yrds of snow...far too much for a 5K-LB tractor to move regards less of HP.

I would suggest getting a smaller pusher for that size tractor...

good luck
  7. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

I use a 10' box on a gehl 7800 (110hp) that weighs about 9500lbs. What about a counter weight on the front end?
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a 10ft pusher blade on a JD2750 (110 hp) four wheel drive tractor. Weight of tractor 12,000 lbs plus. On slick pavement it strugles to move the snow. Also had the same blade on a Case 580 4wd backhoe and it didnt do much better than the JD. I bought a Cat 920 loader ( 18,000 lbs) this winter to replace the JD for next season. Im putting chains on the rear of the Cat.No more tire spinning.
    Bottom line is you need to chain that little Kubota and it will not hurt the pavement. Pavement is real hard in winter, not soft like in summer heat.
  9. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Why not use a blade with side boards like this http://www.horstwelding.com/snow_items.php?id=93. Its so much quicker to windrow the snow, isn't it? Then put the sides down and scoop it. I drove a kubota L5030 with a 8ft plow on it and was forever adjusting the tilt. Rolling the box back would help.
  10. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

You should call the tire shop ask them about have all 4 tires fulled to add weight on tractor.

You should add more weight in front of tractor too,

I have a 4020 loader, it could do a push box.
    Yeah the 4020 has a cab on it with heat.
  11. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I don't think that's going to help him. You would be replacing a 525 lb. plow with a 1650 lb. plow. He won't be able to push anything, then. :eek:

However, the Avalanche website indicates that a minimum 40HP is needed. They may want to be a little more detailed in what size machine is necessary.

You may want to check their website for the compact tractors http://www.ledexindustries.com/products_compact_tractor.php and there is a place there to "Ask the Experts". :help: They may be able to assist you.

Good luck.
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Same response here as the other guys.

Too big of a box.

The guys around here running M7040, M9000's are only running 8' blades on them.

I've got a 4310 and the dealer won't sell me anything bigger than a 7' blade for it, says that's all the tractor will handle.
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest getting a front and rear weight kit for it. Add another 2000 lbs would really help out. Keep the machine in float when pushing the box to keep all the wheels on the ground.
  14. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

damn who would have thought 70 hp and only 5k.. my b21 (21hp) is about 4-5k and i have cleared my shop paking lot out ( just to run it a little in the off season) which is not small and have had no problems with traction..
  15. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

M9000 can handle a 10' Box plow with dry or wet snow, no slipping, no problems. Have had it plently full and it works great.

Last year I ran a L4200 with a loader and 8' box and it worked ok as well.

Not sure what you traction problem is, sure you have it 4 wheel drive ?? lol
    Ensure your box plow just makes contact with the surface, too much down pressure will cause loss of traction.

Kabotal4200 (2).jpg
  16. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

He's right! Too much snow for a light machine. What you might think of doing...is putting a 10' blade on the machine instead of a box. You'll be able to angle the snow to the side! Less resistance!
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did the dealer recommend this size pusher?

I'm a little surprised that it won't, but weight will make a huge difference. Like has been said, weight and HP are needed. Seriously, did you have it 4WD? If so, were at least 2 wheels spinning when you were trying to push?

Also, the snow we just had was extremely heavy and with the sleet\freezing rain underneath, traction wasn't great unless you had salt down before it started snowing. That was the only thing that saved us from having more problems.

Might have to check into a blade for it. I would recommend a Blizzard 8611 tractor model.
  18. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I have a TN55 with ag tires, 6500lbs incuding loader, 52 hp and pushes excellent with a 10' FFC pusher.
    Do the following before selling that blade......
    1. Add a minimun of 1500lbs counterweight to the 3pt arms Those arms should be rated for 3000lbs plus. I bought a cheap aftermarket carrier and poured a solid concrete block around it.
    2. Feather the throttle when pushing, spining the tires is just killing your tread life. 70hp is worthless if it does not hook up.
    3. Keep in mind that you can only push in straight lines, level or downhill with a half full blade.
    4. As the snow builds up in the blade slightly lift up the blade, not off the ground...just enough to take the slack out of the arms and pins. This will increase front tire pressure on the ground. This will take a while to get used to, but once you get it you will see a big difference. The skids are there to ride on but any weight transfered to them will rob needed friction to push with.
    5. Depending on the type of edge, make sure it is properly adjusted for height.

Good luck
  19. GEM

GEM Junior Member

Help! New tractor won't push......follow-up

Thanks for the replies and info. Sorry no photos, the unit is at the dealer right now trying to get this figured out. Yes it was in 4wd, the fronts were spinning. I was running the box in float position. Originally the dealer recommended a 14 ft. box but I need to trailer this once in a while so I went with a 10 footer. Dealer said the tractor would handle it no problem
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, I'm sure somebody won't like this, but I have never been able to make my JCB work in the float mode. Everytime I tried as soon as I started pushing the front wheels came off the ground. I am probably just slow (and sarcastic) but I could never make it work.

I gave up and just manually adjust the blade for varying pavement heights, just like dozer operators.

Were your front tires coming off the ground when you were pushing?

PS Never believe a salesman.