1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! New to all this

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jaspell, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Okay, first let me say that I am here as a homeowner and likely the only thing I will ever plow is my own driveway. I have a couple of questions: First, I just bought the 1994 F250 depicted in the picture with what looks to be some kind of plow mount.

I would like to be able to plow with this truck. Can anyone tell me what type of plow I can use with this mount and what, exactly I need to buy? I would love to go with a minute mount type system either Fisher or Western but dont know if this mount limits me. Also, what width plow to do a simple 50' home driveway?

Also---really stupid question but how do I get the plow on and off the truck? I imagine it weighs like hell and at 47 I'm not real up for that much heavy lifting. Your help is appreciated.

Jim

front2.jpg

wires.jpg

front1.jpg

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not real sure what kind of mount you have, but my suggestion would be to get a whole new setup. The reason I say that instead of trying to find a match for the existing mount is for ease of mounting and dismounting. Whatever you have, looks like the old type that takes more "muscleing". With most newer homeowner types, all you have to do is make sure it's lined up with the truck, drive straight into it, release a handle or couple of pins, push a couple of lines into their mate and drive away. Go to any of the major plow web sites and there'll be illustrations on mounting and dismounting. Examples - Fisher, Blizzard, Boss, Meyer (click on the links at the top of this page).

Ideally, for an F250, you want an 8'. If you're sure you'll only be doing your own driveway, you could get by with a 7.5' to save a little money (as always, you'll get what you pay for).

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Some of the real old timers might figure out what mount you have. But, then you probably will not find the equipment for it.

Check out Snoway.com They have great plows with down pressure. I've used them for 10 years on a 1 ton truck. Prices are usually better too. The bigger names usually cost more and aside from upgrading to a vee plow there isn't an value prop in a name.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Might be an old diamond, but it's a moot point, as Mick suggested buy a new plow.

5. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

Looks like the old Fisher Speedcast frame... Someone just took off the light head head gear so they did not have to look at it year round.. I'd get a new plow to :)

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Old Fisher speedcaster mount with the lift frame removed. :nod:

Does that make me an old timer Scott? :cry:

7. scottL

What years was the unit from??? :rolleyes:

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pre '93. prsport

9. scottL

I'm not saying noth'en more :bday:

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

yep pre 93 model and fisher speedcaster. got it on my truck.

looks like the 8ft and up frame mounts. there is light duty for 7.5 and down. then hd for 8ft and up. take and measure across the 2 slots were the pins are. should be in the 25" range give or take 1"

if you decide to ditch that and go somthing diffrent let me know i would buy the lower section that bolts to the 2 push plates and were the plow clips in.

pop the hood and make sure you dont still have the pump and valve setup.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And if you do you might think of finding the rest of the plow. There're a lot of guys with old speedcasters out there they cann't put on their new trucks.

12. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Thanks for all your help, guys. Based upon your input I decided to can the existing setup. I found a guy with a brand new unused 8 foot Fisher Minute Mount that will sell it to me for 1k.

I guess my only other questions are if I will be able life the new plow into the bed to get it home,and do you folks suggest I buy a plow dolly?

Thanks again,
    Jim

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats going to make many here jealous. :realmad:

Congrats on your find Jim. :salute:

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A brand new 8' Fisher for $1,000? Is it just "beginner's luck" or what? At that price, make VERY sure what you're getting of the truck mount, A-frame, moldboard, wiring harness, Isolation module and cab control. If you're having to load it in the truck to get it home, I'd be suspicious. Anything missing, research what it will cost, plus installation.

I doubt you'll be able to lift the plow into the truck by yourself or even with another person - especially if it's attached to the A-frame..

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Incuding all the truck side parts?

16. scottL

yeah but, for 1k even if he was missing a few parts and ended up spending another 1k that's less than the average of 3k for a setup from a shop. ( as long as he is willing to dig in and figure it out )

17. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

I guess I'll find out. It's a Minute Mount I, not II. I'll let you guys know next week when I check it out.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

He did REAL good. I wasn't questioning that. If he has to buy all the truck side, it's around $1200 for the parts and then there's the labor. A total investment of $2500 for a plow that will last a long time is a great investment.payup

19. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

I found the guy on Craigslist. He was selling his 1996 F250. he just happened to mention he had the plow too. He's a landscaper/contractor in Connecticut. He says he has all the truck side parts to fit my truck.

he also has a 2nd Fisher Minute Mount Plow which he says works fine, just not is as good cosmetic shape. He wants 850 for that one.

As I say, i'll let you all know. again, thatnks for all the advice. i really appreciate it.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Good Deal, Happy Plowing.