1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP - New Boss Blade Leaking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowman350, Feb 23, 2005.

1. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Okay, this is my first season using a new 8ft Straight Boss Blade.

After a couple snows I decided to check the oil level. The owner's manual an diagram show that when you open the oil fill (elbow) you're supposed to see fluid high enough to be in the tube. There wasn't any oil visible, so I put a ton of oil into it to the point that I could see it.

Now, there's a leak and I'm dripping oil from somewhere under the housing. Before I added the oil, it was running fine, and everything seemed to work perfectly,....no leaks. Just trying to stay on top of regular maint, I checked it and added the oil. Plow still operates the same, just leaking oil.

Yes, the plow was moved in all directions and laid on the ground in the float position before filling. Also, the elbow was able to be tightened by hand 1 full turn!! So, is there any part underneath the plastic housing which would be likely to come loose during its first season? I haven't had time to tear it apart yet.

Any advice or experience in refilling the oil would be greatly appreciated.

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

The plastic cover is very easy to take off, I am sure it is just a fitting leaking. Open it up and check it out.

my guess is its just overfull, I`ve done this myself with my boss. It will probably leak more when you unhook it from the truck. The way the book tells you to fill it never worked for me either. Mine will leak out ever time I fill it to boss specs. so I would keep using it for a little while and it should stop running out after a little use and it should level itself out. mines been that way four years and never any troubles? I add a little on occasion just to make sure it is full but it usually runs back out because its overfull. its a great plow though four years with no problems at all knock on wood.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

You added too much and it came out the overflow valve.
  5. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies...I'll check for loose fittings, and assume I overfilled it. You'd think boss would tell you how to properly fill it if this is the case. Why wouldn't a dipstick be a better way?

Again, thanks for the help.
  6. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Cause that would cost them $.40, which would cost the dealer $1.00, which would cost you $1.50.

Really though - you shouldn't need one - either its got enough oil or it doesn't. Apparently there is just a problem with the procedure. The fact that your fill fitting was loose was not good either.