1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

!!Help!! never priced something this way before.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Joesno, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

hey guys.
    ive been plowing for two years now and am still fiarly new to the buisness. I just recently put in a bid for a small appartment complex for mowing and landscape maintenece, snow plowing and salting. The property is a little out of my way so i told the guy im going to come in higher than anybody elses prices. (keep in mind that i already mow and maintaine the owner/developers home and he knows and likes the work we do).
    we actually ended up getting the contract but i bidded the snow removal on a per push basis.

heres the problem: He wants a set amount for the whole winter. ive never done pricing like this before and no im not new to commercial plowing. my question is whats the average plowable events that we get in ohio? specifically southern ohio.

the specifics:

-12 appartments each with small 30' drives.
    - sidewalks shoveled
    - sidewalks and drives salted.
    i bid this at $420.00 per time i come and plow. and an extra $72.00 for salt.

anything will help im thinking well have about 20 events tops so around $9000.00 for the whole season.???? does this sound right.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Try this and see if it sounds good to you:

Take the average annual snowfall for your area; divide by your "trigger" (ie: 2 or 3"); then multiply by your "per event "price". This SHOULD give you a decent seasonal price.

The only thing I can think that you might want to make an adjustment for is salting IF you don't plow until it's built up more than twice your trigger AND you salt only after plowing.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  3. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

72.00 for salting ? Seem's pretty low to me.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What all are you salting. A lot of time my salting is close or even more then my plowing price in most cases. That price is real low.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sorry, I meant to add that, for me, sanding is usually equal to plowing any particular area. With salt, it would be a little more.
  6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

thanks all for your replies

yes i was looking it over today and the salt is really low. im going to double it. It will only take 3 bag of deicer but i need to double that for my ride time to get there due to its distance away. I talked to a local guy and i think ive figured it out.

im gonna estimate 12 plowable events per season

20 salts/deices per season

Plowing:12x390 (not 420) = 4680.00

Salting: 20x140= 2800.00

total = 7480.00 for the season

this comes out to be about 623.40 per account per season which seams right

Typically in this area we see 8-10 plowable events per year. this year is suppossed to be way above average. and 15-17 salts. so i bidded above to give myself some leeway. this also is a flat standerd price. any more thoughts??? does this sound good.
  7. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Bid the seasonal price for plowing and tell him it is a per app price for salting only. That is what i do. I will not give a flat rate on salt, it is way to expensive to go salting every time it needs it if you are on a flat rate.
  8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Someone should just make a "sticky" out of these formulas.