1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Never Plowed...WANT TO!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 75F360, Dec 8, 2007.

1. 75F360

75F360 Junior Member

Alright, so I was on here a few months ago with the plans of getting my first plow and the help was great. However, I have in the end gotten a different truck. I now have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7 regular cab. With that said, I know that it isn't the best truck for plowing being a 1/2 ton and I don't want to kill it either. However, I won't be doing that much plowing. Just family and friends and the occasional small parking lot.

So, I have read that a Meyer 7.5 poly is lightweight and pretty good. Is this true? I would like to avoid having to do any suspension mods so that is why I was thinking plastic. I am COMPLETELY new to plowing. Even the most obvious help to the veterans would be greatly appreciated!! Lights, which plow setup, hydraulic over electric(would I need another battery?) controls, etc!I am CLUELESS!! Thanks so much!

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

my 7'6'' meyer steel is lighter then the poly

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you'll be fine with a 1/2 ton we have some,

as far as i know all poly's are heavier than steel but snow don't stick to them and no rust is about the only difference so it won't be worth the extra money

meyer is fine we have some of all brands and they all hold up pretty well, but i would definatly check out the blizzard with power wings, we have one and it is a heck of a plow and time saver, witch would be good for you 'cause if in the future if you wanted, you could go after a little bit larger contracts than with a regular plow, (just thinking ahead)

the light's, who cares, we have a plow with the night saber's and they are no different than the others IMO

you'll be fine with one batt

hope this helps, if you have any Q's for me you can PM me

Goodnight, igoing to be 'cause i gotto get up and do it all over agian about 4:00am:bluebounc

4. 75F360

75F360 Junior Member

For whatever reason, it isn't giving me a PM or email option Powerjoke, so I had to resort to a normal reply.

Alright, that definitely helped. Steel it is. I looked at the Blizzard homepage, and their Speedwing looks like it would work really well, especially for a newbie like me. Any idea what it they cost new or used if I could find one? And I am assuming that they are truck specific, at least the mounting. Any other possible plows that you would recommend?

If I don't go crazy and beat on my truck/plow...how long is the life expectancy on a 1/2 ton? I might have to upgrade to a 3/4 next year because my Ram is in pretty damn good shape and I don't want to beat it! Thanks again!

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget about Fisher! New England is Fisher country, not simply because its home is here, but because they're damn good snowplows & people know it. A few guys refurbish them & can offer them at a reduced price from factory new. Good luck!

~Kevin

6. big bird

big bird Senior Member

fisher has a lot of dam good plows wesport

7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I would just quit while you are ahead. Or just by a Sno-way

8. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Don't beat up the Dodge.

There are many good front mount plows but how about a rear mount that can plw in both directions and won' break the bank? :nod: Give us a look....
    www.superplow.com

9. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Don't beat up the Dodge.

There are many good front mount plows but how about a rear mount that can plow in both directions and won't break the bank? :nod: Give us a look....
    www.superplow.com

10. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Don't beat up the Dodge.

There are many good front mount plows but for your described plowing, how about a rear mount that can plow in both directions and won't break the bank? :nod: Give us a look....
    www.superplow.com

11. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Sorry

:dizzy: Website is flaky sorry about the multiples....

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

truck will do fine, just take it easy, where are you in ct?? as for plows, go with the one who has the best customer service in you're area.

13. 75F360

75F360 Junior Member

I'm in Danbury Ct.....very western edge on Rt 84. As far as customer support/service I don't know who is local. I think I see Fisher a lot, which would go along with them being in the North East.

Do I have to buy insurance period or only if it is more than for friends and family?

14. 75F360

75F360 Junior Member

Hey Kevin (yardmedic)

You said some guys refurbish Fisher plows? Where do I look or who do I contact? Thanks

15. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Try a snoway,I think they have the lightest poly plows.There just as good quality wise as any of them.

16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

17. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

A baby boss wouldnt hurt either

18. 75F360

75F360 Junior Member

Everyones opinions and help has been greatly appreciated! I certainly have a better idea of what to look for and what works. I think to spare my truck and my wallet, I'm going to look for an older work truck that already has a plow on it. I should have done this from the beginning! This way I can get my feet wet with a setup that's already been "tested". So if anyone has an old truck and plow in the Western Connecticut area that they aren't using and would like to let go cheap (sub 1500, yea, she doesn't have to be a looker, just run well and work well) please look me up! Thanks again everyone

19. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

I would go with a snoway for that 1/2 ton I had one about 10 years ago on a k5 blazer seemed to work fine, light weight plowed decent only wish they had the down pressure system back then for the hard packed down frozen snow and back dragging.

20. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

id go with a 7ft boss on a 1500