1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with tow hitch on dump bed.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ny65, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ny65

ny65 Member

I have a 1993 ford f250 xl 5.8l automatic with 4wd and a dump bed on the pickup. I need to mount a tow hitch receiver, and I can't figure out how to do it. The whole bed tilts, bumper and all. Right now the receiver is bolted to the step bumper. But I just pulled a 28' boat trailer with no boat on it, and the bumper dropped at least 3/4" . I am afraid to try and pull the trailer with the boat on it. Has anyone out there seen a pickup with a dump bed and a tow hitch? If so how was it mounted?

2. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Most receiver hitches for that year/type of truck bolt to the bottom of the frame at the rear, and go under the bumper. As long as there was enough clearance for when you go to dump, it shouldn't be an issue. Strange the bumper tips with the bed, it must be something of how the tilt mechanism is built. On my '89 dually, when I built the flatbed dump for it, I took the bumper off alltogether, and the hinge point is just above the frame rails, so there's no issue with a hitch hitting or interfering.

3. ny65

ny65 Member

I know, that's the problem. I am thinking of mounting the hitch receiver further back. Clear of the bumper when it dumps. Then when I need to use it, put in an extension and the ball. Kinda like a hidden hitch. I just don't know if the weight will be too much for the length of the extension.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The issue with mounting the hitch further forward is the truck frame. The Fords of that era depend on the added streagth of the cross gusset for carrying rear shear and the frame rails taper as they go forward resulting in a loss of horizontal flange lowering their ability to carry both vertical and horizontal load. Adding an adapter will lower your weight carrying ability by one third or greater depending of the length.

IMHO a much better solution would be to modify your existing bumper or build a custom rear bumper that cleared the existing receiver hitch when the bed dumped. :mechanic:

5. ny65

ny65 Member

(LIGHTBULB) I think you just got through to me Basher. Notch the step bumper in the middle so it goes around the hitch when I dump. But then I cannot secure the hitch to the step bumper at all. Is that a big deal? All the load is carried on the frame, and none at the bumper? Definitely a possibility if that is the case.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Hitches for that generation Ford was designed to carry weight on the frame only they were not designed to mount to the bumper at all. Heck at that point I think a bumper was an option.

7. ny65

ny65 Member

Okay, my dad borrowed the truck yesterday to pull his boat out of the water for the season. He complained that everytime he hit a bump, the the bed would pop up in the air then slam back down again. Obviously not good. Just to be clear here. The bed is mounted to a frame that gets hydraulically raised. The hitch would have to get mounted to the chasis. Is that what I am to understand? I just want to make sure before I buy a hitch, that I am going to have some place to mount it to. I want to make sure I am not confusing any terms.

8. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Is this an aftermarket contractor dump bed, or one of those kits where you turn the standard pickup box into a sort of dumping bed?

9. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

how about a few pics..... from the side and rear, with the bed up and the bed down.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The "Bed" raises, the Truck's "Frame" carries the "Bed," suspension, drivetrain, cab, excetra. The "Reciever" or "Hitch" should be bolted to the bottom of the "frame" and on your model requires the drilling of at least six holes for a decent installation. I would look and see if the bottom flanges of the "Frame" has holes already drilled. If so the truck had a hitch on it previously and you should try to re-use the same holes as to not weaken the frame further. The factory did not provide mounting holes on that frame

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ditto:nod:

12. ny65

ny65 Member

pics will be coming..

Hi guys, sorry for the delay, been busy. I will take a few pics when the weather clears up. Hopefully tomorrow. This is a standard pickup bed that has a "Rugby" hydraulic system to raise and lower the bed. Looks like it was installed either from the dealer or right after it was purchased. Cause it looks old. :)

13. ny65

ny65 Member

T he pics. I hope you guys can see something.

I hope I did this right. This may be beyond my scope. I might have to get someone to fabricate a mount, and rework the bumper.

IMG-20110922-00191.jpg

IMG-20110922-00192.jpg

IMG-20110922-00193.jpg

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

OK what you have now is an accident waiting to happen. The recevier tube bolted to the step bumper is a class one (20 tw/2000gtw) hitch at best.

I cannot see the bottom rear of your frame in the pictures but it looks like a standard hitch should fit your truck and have no issues

15. ny65

ny65 Member

Hi Basher, yeah it is not a good situation. I brought it to a trailer place that installs hitches. He took a look and said. "Wow!" It was beyond his bolt on capabilities. So I took it to a metal fabricator. I picked up a Curt class iv hitch and he is going to weld it to the frame and cut and move the bumper. According to the trailer place, in order to install the hinges for the dump bed, the had to cut the chasis down by about 6 inches. He is instralling on Moday if all goes well. I will take pics. This shoukld be interesting.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's not rocket science though it does take an understanding of the loads. A experienced fabricator should have no problems. Look forward to pictures.

17. ny65

ny65 Member

Hitch has been installed.

Finally had the hitch installed. They had to notch the bumper like you suggested. I have attached a few pics to hopefully help anyone else who might run across this problem. After it was installed I repainted the bumper. And I got around to repainting the headgear. Now the old girl is starting to look pretty. :) Obviously I have to move the license plate. Any suggestions? When I move the plate, do I have to move the lights so they shine on the plate? Next is the trailer wiring and brake controller. I saw some cables behind the bumper, but not sure what they are. I have a feeling that's another weekend project. :(

notched bed down.jpg

notched bed raised.jpg

notched bed raised 2.jpg

hitch from under.jpg

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Very nice and yes there could well be a bundle of wires that is the tow package harness, Ford normally bundles them at the end of the frame, driver's side. If so there will be a plug-in under the center of the dash to attach a brake control. I highly recommend the Teckonsha Primus IQ, P2 (prodigy) or P3 (The sweetest of the sweet) they all are inertia operated, self-leveling and have self diagnostic capabilities. Very user friendly and they have an available plug and play systemThumbs Up

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

X2 on the P3, this is the one I use and just love it. No complaints at all.

Also I am pretty sure you need to have a plate light, at least you do here in PA.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think every state requires a tag light