1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with Seasonal pricing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by SnoShark, Jan 9, 2007.

1. SnoShark

SnoShark Junior Member

There are alot of threads regarding seasonal contracts. As this is my first season, I haven't given it alot of thought. Today I was asked to quote a job with a seasonal price. I have no idea how to figure the cost and really don't want to loose money or the contract. If anyone could share some ideas and/or sample contracts, that would be helpful.
    Thank you!

2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You have to figure avg pushes a season. Then multiply that by your per/push price. Unless people want to sign on for a 3 yr contract, i tell them that i will have to give them a seasonal quote of a slightly heavier than avg winter to avoid getting shafted with a huge winter. Under a 3 yr contract it would even out over the years - so i'd charge for a normal winter. Look on the NOAA website and try to figure out the avg percipitation.

avg pushes per season x $ per push= seasonal price

if you're really worried about it being too low pad it up a little ;)

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are several ways, but all are based on averages. I use 12 pushes per year with a 3" trigger. Then I just figure whatever I'd charge "per push" times 12. Having multiple year contracts are best, again as they take advantages of "averages". Also, no particular need to have a higher price to account for the following years; have a built-in adjustment for inflation. You might also have a fuel surcharge built in, like an increase of so much for each ten cents per gallon over a set amount as of a certain date.