1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed with rear-facing floodlight install...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fiveoboy01, Feb 13, 2010.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

I am tired of not being able to see behind me when backing up. I want to install a rear-facing light system of soome sort, just not sure what I should use. I'm going to be installing a back rack in the next few weeks and I want to mount them there. On the bumper is out of the question, as I back into snowbanks all too often.

What are your guys' recommendations? I want something that will light up the night.. I'm a mechanic as well so mounting and wiring these up will be no issue for me, I'm also wondeirng if I should install a second battery in the truck or if the single battery will handle it. The plow and salter beat up the battery pretty good the way it is.

Price really doesn't matter much, I want quality components that hold up to vibration and cold and I'll pay whatever for them.

Truck is an '06 F250 5.4 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

2. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I'm gonna throw out a smart a$$ comment and tell you to go buy a Ebling pull plow and mount the lights on there! Especially if you are truely into buying quality components. Haha

Seriously though, what about mounting them in the rear stake pockets? I guess I would suggest adding the second battery for the plow motors sake.

3. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

My rear lights

Just an idea. I bought a cheap pair of 55 watt halogen fog lamps from Auto Zone. Installed them on a piece of 1 x 6 and wired them into a 6 way trailer plug. They come on with the reverse lights and the blue side markers flash with my hazards. I mounted the 1 x 6 to a hitch reciever with a toggle bolt. Even as I back into snow piles they just give either left or right since they rotate on the toggle bolt. When I'm done plowing it just unplugs and goes back in the garage. Works awesome. My truck has 20% tint and the back glass is covered by a semi-transparent company logo.

downsized_0213001307.jpg

4. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

I run 4" rubber tractor lights mounted to my class 4 hitch where it bolts to the frame. been running them there for 30 years and never lost one yet. Just snug enough so if you do hit the snow they will fold back. another good spot is under the back corner of the cab or the running board. not a big fan of mounting on the headache rack as to much glare of the box or deck, down low is better

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, again I am not going to mount them on the hitch, for one thing the salter mounts there, and I back into banks too often anyhow. Stake pockets is a good idea, I will look into that.

I'm looking for something a little brighter than your standard tractor light...

6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I mounted mine to the factory tow hitch - out as wide as I could. They're safe from snow banks and don't look out of place. Up high and tight under the bumper.
    Whatever you do, run a relay and take power directly from the Battery. Don't wanna take any chances with high powered - high amp lights.
    I'll post a few pics if you want.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Please do. As I said I'm not keen on running them down low but who knows, besides I like equipment pics anyhow...

I'll be running relays for sure:)

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Why not mount them to your salter? That should also give you a little extra sense of where the rear is if they are as far back as possible on the unit

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with Hitachiman, mount them low and adjust your driving habits, backing into snow is bad for your bumper anyway. Anything mounted up high will catch the box and create glare negating the advantage of a good beam. I assume you already have lights (stock) for the back of the vehicle, if your new ones are angled back and sideways it helps light up stuff at a wider angle which (trust me) is what you're looking for. also see this thread: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=97391

10. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Grote halagens. They are cheap and they are bright. You can see them on grote.com

11. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

All I have are a few quick pics from my Blackberry... And they're all daylight shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hitachiman 200

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I am quite surprised how many guys on here tell this story about "Always backing into snowbanks"??
    I am going to assume this goes hand in hand with always being in a big hurry to plow more driveways??? I dont know if I can compleatly wrap my head around people constantly backing into stuff; and smashing things off the back of the truck; but with that said ,I know there were some posts on this earlier and some outfit makes a 55 watt floods that have a "magnetic base" that will hold them right onto the tailgate ???? But once again; I guess that probably wouldnt work either, as I dont know how hard you are "backing into these banks all the time" but I guess back into the tailgate would not be outta the question??? . Although if it isnt; I am totally mystified how you would gage it so that you are only hitting the bumper? Stoping the extra 4" short sounds kinda tricky to me??? Still trying to imagine backing up around 40MPH and slaming on the brakes so that you only smash into the banks hard enough to stop but not bend the tailgate on impact and then burning out in a cloud of bluesmoke to get to the next driveway??? Maybe Prozac or just Valum would help???
    I really think that a "headache rack" is your only option and be careful with that as it sounds like there is quite a few on here, that commonly back in "that deep" on occasion?

[​IMG]
    this is all we use but I have since added a "backup beeper" just for insurance , it works fine for us ........

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

On your back rack there is accessory slots that you can put "L" brackets on. It's really the optimal position for them. You get an overall view of things as well as the immediate ground area.

You can get the light brackets for $20 or so. I went with the larger L brackets that were intended for the light bar ($42), then flipped them on there side and ditched the back bracket while securing it with only one of the two holes. I needed to do this due to the shape of my lights as well as it gets the lights further out thus gaining more coverage. I'm sure the smaller ones will do just fine though.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Headache_racks/BackRack_accessories.htm

http://www.awdirect.com/backrack-ca...armor-deck-br10502/pickup-van-cab-protection/

http://backrack.ca/en-us/accessories.aspx

[​IMG]

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Repo,
    That is one awesome looking light bar who makes that???? What a sweet setup that is!

17. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Thats where I got mine is up on the back rack. It keeps the snow of them. The same as Repoman207.

18. hitachiman 200

I have a set in the same place. Just like yours I bet they make that snow on the toolbox light up pretty good and glare in your face. They also do a pretty good job of blinding anyone behind you up that high.:nono:

19. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thanks, that's the whelen mini edge with all the goodies.

Absolutely! My first victim was an off duty cop. I don't know what pissed him off more, the blinding lights or me laughing at him when he followed me home to chew me out. Good thing he wasn't a local cop lol..

20. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. For the glare, I can use flags to kill light spill and keep it off the box(a photographer's trick).

As for the post filled with snarky comments about backing into snowbanks, my only reply to that is that it happens, and I'd rather not damage the lights if I can help it.