1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed pricing residential driveways.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by al2005, Nov 25, 2005.

1. al2005

al2005 Junior Member

I own a landscaping company in the northeast and I'm new to the snowplowing industry. $35.00 to $40.00 seems to be the quoted price for a standard size drive way that holds 4-5 cars in length.

1. does anyone have a price schedule the go by using squarefootage, this way you can be more consistant per driveway?

2. After the first plow for up to 6inches, if you have to go back for a second clean-up do you charge the same fee each time?

I'm trying to simplyfy my pricing on my proposals for my cleints and make it easier for me when quoting and billing.

Thank you
  2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Good Luck.

There are too many variables around me to simplify pricing that much. Unless your doing a development so you know that every drive has almost identical obstacles (or lack of obstacles) you're going to need to do some eyeballing and some seat of the pants figuring to come up with a price for each driveway. I have three drives within two blocks of each other that are priced from $25 to $55. Theye area all approximately 80 feet long but one is wide open on both sides with the garage off to the left. Straight push, 3-5 minutes, $25. Another is open on one side with the garage at the end. Backblade from garage, turn around, back in and push out to open side, 10 minutes $35. The last one is between two houses that both have basement windows. To keep from breaking those windows I have to back blade in steps or back over the snow multiple times before I plow it. After driving for a friend of mine for the last two years, the best we came up with was to back blade in several steps, then back in and one last push out to clean everything up. Then I need to pile all of this snow in the front yard. This customer pays $55 since it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get all this done since they are on a main road and I have to wait to back in to the street. They pay more because their job is more difficult and takes me more time.

All three are pretty much identical square footage, but I would really be agitated if i spent 20-25 minutes and walked away with $25.

Just be careful of getting to simple with pricing, if it was that simple we would all know what to charge over the phone without ever seeing the property.
  3. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Hourly sure seems to make the most sense.
  4. MisterIceMan

MisterIceMan Junior Member

I agree with bigjoe. I'm in the Lawrence, MA area and that's the average rate for driveways in this area. Trying to simplify pricing can be tricky especially when dealing with small sinlge lane drive ways. You have to keep in mind that you need somewhere to put the plowed snow! Also, will you be sanding/salting ? will you need to take out the shovel ? That's why it's so hard to come up with a price schedue using square feet. I plan to charge after the first 6 inches an extra $20. Meaning $30-35 up 6" and for 8" and up $20 for every additional pass. That's what I've been quoting to people..I'm new to the industry as well.:nod:

5. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

I base everything I do on $100.00 an hour, If a drive is going to take me 15 minutes to plow then I charge $25.00... 15 Minutes= $25.00 / 30 Minutes= $50.00, and so on you get the pic......:salute:
  6. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Foxfire makes a lot of sense(figure/hr price for truck and driver)--If you have a couple in the same area you can cut the price down--You are in the ball park for the area-- also state in your contracts if you are going out for dustings--plow if there is 2"--some clients want you to and some don't!

Have Fun!:drinkup:
  7. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

I Live In Peabody Mass On The Northshore, We Have 100 Drive Ways And Corporate Buildings As Well. Alot Of My Driveways Are Lawn Customers As Well. And I Tell That We Charge The Same Price Everytime We Come And Dont Be Surprised If We Come 3 Times During A 12 Inch Storm. We Usually Start Driveways Around 3 Am So Every1 Can Get Out For Work And Then If Its Snowing Bad Well Go Back At It Around 1 Am So They Can Get Home Fron Work And Then Finally Once The Storm Is Done With. Usually Every 3-4 Inches. The Average Drives Around Here Run 30-40 I Have Sum That Are 55 But Basically Ask A Few Landscapers In Your Area And Youll Get A Feel. Or Do What I Did When I Started Flag Someone Down And Say How Much Do You Charge To Do That Driveway Youll Catch On Real Quick. And If They Say No Then Youll Get Someone Else Who Will Pay.