1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help needed in changing motor on a fisher homesteader plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 99 Sport, Feb 12, 2013.

1. 99 Sport

99 Sport Junior Member
    from ct.

I need to replace the motor on my plow....I have a new replacement motor and need to know what is involved in the job....my old motor would only work if I tap on the end lightly with a hammer...anything special I need to know? thx, jim...
  2. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Take the two bolts out of the back of the motor opposite the pump, try to keep the assembly together as there should be a spacer/washer between the motor and the pump. Might need a slight tap with a hammer after you loosen the bolts, don't remove them from the motor until you have the assembly on the work bench. Chances are you'll be able to pull it all apart and clean the armature and brushes up and it will serve yo as a back-up.
    When you're ready to re-install the new motor put it back the same way, keep the long bolts through the motor housing to keep it together and put a bead of RTV silicon between the motor and pump face, I left the bottom open without bead to let any moisture out that might accumulate.
    Pretty straight forward, goes fairly quick.

3. 99 Sport

99 Sport Junior Member
    from ct.

thank you for the quick response.... doesn't sound like it's too hard of a job.....Jim
  4. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hopefully, you bought an aftermarket motor--- better quality and lower price.

If so, you will likely need longer bolts and perhaps a few small washers to make it fit.

It is an easy bolt-up, as described.