1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help needed for Bid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DeSnowman, Oct 15, 2012.

1. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

I am new to the business, and have received a request for a bid on a shopping center parking lot to include sidewalks. They asked for a price list regarding per push for inches broken down 1-3,3-6,6-9,9-12, and 12 over by every inch.
    They also asked for a one year price and a three year price.
    The total square footage is 880,250 for the parking lots. The side walks are 20,000 square feet. All is to be cleared and salted. The side walks with Calcium Chloride.

Thanks for any help I can get.

It is located in Delaware.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You ever plow before? If so,what do you have for equipment?

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like they are really trying to pinch pennies on their snow plowing budget. Who makes the final call on the actual total accumulation? You say it's 6" and they say it's 5.5".

Sounds like a headache of an account already.

4. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

Yes I have plowed before. I have 2012 Ford F250 with a western 8 foot plow, a 2004 Chevrolet 2500HD with western 8 foot plow. Salt dogg spreader and an Atv with five foot plow. I have available two front end loaders.

5. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

as far as the deciding factor we use the states final measurement

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

"I know the news said we got 7", but my ruler shows only 5" in the parking lot."

You'll find that most here do not use by the inch pricing for a bunch of reasons.

7. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

Further information to add is that two years ago we got 84 inches of snow, last year we got one inch, and so far they are predicting 60 inches for this up coming year.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

:rolleyes: .... who's "they"? Snow is a believe it when I see it thing.

You need to calculate ALL of your costs and then break it down by the hour. Insurance, fuel per machine/truck, shovelers, etc. According to you, you are ready to make less money pushing 3" than you would pushing 4". I don't see your hourly costs being noticably less for 1" of snow. Are you going to price different for wet or powder snow? 3" of concrete icey snow can be more work then 6" of light fluffy powder.

9. DeSnowman

DeSnowman Member

The average hourly rate ranges from 125 to 150 an hour for a truck with plow. I charged 400 a ton of salt last year. The atv was 65 an hour calcium chloride was 25 a bag