1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Need to get plow up for service

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cfdklaw, Feb 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cfdklaw

cfdklaw Junior Member
    from Chicago

I'm brand new , and don't know anything. I've got a 10 year old unimount western snow plow. I can't get the blade to respond and want to bring it in to the shop for service. The blade is down and I want to manually get it up so I can drive it to the shop. I know I need to use the chain to hold it up , but how do I get slack in the chain to do it ? Do I need to drain the fluid first ? All of our snow has melted for now. Can I push the blade against a curb ? Thanks in advance

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

If you disconnect the hydraulics to the lift ram, all you'll be lifting is the blade (and everything attached). Then you can pry it up and use large prys, or a hydraulic ram or pump to lift it all the way up.

Your problem(s) could be mechanical, hydraulic and/or electric. Good luck, John

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Take a floor jack and lift up the plow. And chain it up

4. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Like Dieselss said use a jack to raise the plow to where you need it in order to shorten the chain, if you don't have a jack available, run the plow up on a snow bank, then shorten the chain. doesn't really matter how you do it just be carefull so the plow doesn't drop on you. you may need to jack it up, then put bocks under it, reposition the jack and lift it again in order to get it high enough to where it wont hit the ground when driving.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Car jack. Lift the plow up all the way, remove slack from chain.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Really. Didn't I already say that....V??

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

there's an echo.

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Very important echo. WORTH repeating.
    (because it takes repetition for most things to sink in for most people)

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

run the blade up a snowbank and tighten the chain!