1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! need TIRES. What do I buy?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by maximus44, Nov 28, 2006.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi all. I'm new to this site,have searched /read some threads,and now I'm more confussed than ever. I have a 2004 Dodge 3500(non dually)4x4 diesel.
    Stock tire size is 265/7017. These tires look like they are too small for the truck.
    I am about to buy a set of BFG mud terrain tires,size: 35/12.5/17
    Will this work in the snow(plowing)? I have a Blizzard 810 plow on it.
    Any input will be appreciated.

2. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

your might be better off buying BFG all terrain rather than mud terrain

3. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

would the 35/12.5/17 be an ok size though?

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

dont think you would be happy

the narrower the better i think

5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I read an article in one of the diesel mags about tires on a dually. They went to a wider tire in the past & ended up going back to the stock size. They did this because they were experiencing some swaying caused by improper tire spacing. I would stay w/ the stock size, but maybe a meatier tire like the AT.

6. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

Dont want to be a jerk but come on

Is it really that hard to scroll down the page just a little and put this in the correct category. If you were paying attention this is the pic portion of plowsite.:angry: :angry: :dizzy: :gunsfiring:

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Most people just post in the first forum they see that seems right. It happens.

As far as those tires, I wouldn't buy mud terrains if you want to get around in the snow. Also, that size is a little bit too wide, IMO, even in all terrains. And I hope you didn't plan to put that size tire on a stock rim. :jester: I say go with a 285/70-17 and you'll be fine. That should set you back at least $800 for the tires alone, and 35's aren't any cheaper.

8. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

100% agree. i've been very pleased with the BFG A/T's and had them on about 6 different vehicles now. the M/T does not make for a great snow tire.

9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Do not buy the 35's you will end up with the Dodge death wobble and they will rub more than an asian girl at a spa.. I got a set of 295/70/17 Nitto terra grapplers. They are great. I got them for 700 shipped off Discountire.com. Great tire and fills the wheel well nicely. But the 285 Bfg and Toyo's are nice also

10. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided to get a set of BFG a/t ko's
    size: 285/70/17
    Your input was very helpful.
    As for the "death wobble" ? 100% TRUE. Asked a guy,by chance, he was getting his big rubber taken off because of it.
    You guys have brought a spirit I've forgotten about back into my snowlowing.
    Hope I can inspire someone else too.
    Thanks again
    MAXIMUS:D

11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

the swaying goes away in a couple weeks, you just have to break the tires in by heating and cooling them a few dozen cycles. Always noticed it when we put new tires on our commercial trucks, but only when empty. Would scare you sometimes when you changed lanes and it wanted to change back. Only spacing problem I've seen is guys putting wider tires on without enough spacing, which lets the tires rub together, very bad.

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Excellent choice. I am sure you will be more than satisfied with them.

13. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

By the BF rugged trails they will work as good as the A/T and will last twice as long as long as you maintain them

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Skip the BFG's and look for a set of Cooper Tires. The Discoverer ATR and ST are EXCELLENT tires. Two of our trucks have the Coopers, one has the ATR, the other the ST. They dig all day/night long. I was extremely pleased with how well they performed in the recent 14+" storm we plowed.

15. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

bfg tires

dont go with the bfg tires. ive had them and they wear fast. they do grip, but need replaced soon as they are soft. I run powerking radial rvts and love them. alot of the guys in my area like them too as they are deep treads(1/2-1'') and last forever. plus, you can get them cheaper than bfg too.

16. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Another thumbs up for the Cooper Discoverer ATR's....

17. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

i've never had a problem with wear on the BFG's and had them on a number of vehicles. our bravada had over 50K on the BFG AT's and they still looked to be over 50%, my jeep had problaby 15K on them and still looked new, etc etc. but that is jsut my experience and I don't have much experience with many others.....had some firehawk m/t's and I can say they SUCK!!

18. phatsat67

phatsat67 Junior Member
    from indiana

I run 285 75 16's Toyo A/T's on my ram. We had 22 inches a few years ago and never got stuck. They have over 25k on them and have about half left. They are quiet and they have great snow traction. Hardly ever slides on the roads when I go to stop. You will often find me jetting around on slick roads like there is no snow because it stops so well haha. A friend of mine just got a set for 675 but I got a way better deal than that and im sure you could if you shop around.

19. turfs up

turfs up Junior Member

Hi,
    I was in the same boat last week. I've got an '05 2500 ctd. I went with the 285/70/17's AT/KO's. The cheapest I could find them was right at a $1,000.00 w/ road hazzard and installed. But, I seem to really like them so far. They told me to rotate them every 5,000 miles if I want to get the most I can out of them. Take care of them and I'm sure you'll be fine.

20. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Tires?:dizzy:
    There are alot of them out there that do a good job. Buy what you like. Many people go for a cretain brand, or whatever, but i prefer just a good all terrain, without going too wide. Wide tires suck in the snow. JMO